Landrover Discovery

Forget the Disco, mate.get a nissan terrano 2.7turbo diesel. :lol:

very reliable and quite cheep to run for a 4x4....dont only take my word for it.

ask around,or look up the write up on the internet...hope this helps

cheers... :good:

the terrano with the right boots on it will 4x4 as good as any...good luck

Edited by cometa24/7

Td5 all the way i looked at terrano's before settling on an '03' 7 seat td5. I need as much room as poss as i go fishing with my two boys as well as shooting and the terrano seemed pretty narrow and lacking in boot space plus the seats arnt anywhere near as easy to fold as the seats in the td5. There seemed more room in the drivers position compared to the terrano although the performance of the terrano i drove (3.1 di) was very good.

The TD5 is the more modern BMW based engine great for the road but not so happy when it gets wet - too manny electronics for an off roal oil burner.

The 300 TDi is a different fish - not quite a smooth and carlike as the TD5 but far more robust and upto silly off roading - you just need to decide what you will be doing more - on or off road!

I gave up trying to get a one vehicle fits all - if it was too nice I got anoyed about scratching it and the muddy boots , too rough and they wont let you park it a work and the wife complains about the smell.

I ended up getting an every day car and a cheap landy - my 4x4 can smell of damp dog and no one minds!

Cheers lads for the replies, I am fortunate that I dont have to use the vehicle I have for (best) so to speak as the wife as a nice car. I use a dog with my job so a cage in the back is a must. I have seen two TD5's both 2001 reg one a es spec very nice the other is a persuit not as well equiped but nice all the same both have under 60,000 mls £5999. Whats the newest 300 TDI available. Cheers Terry

Common misconception but in fact the TD5 has nothing to do with BMW at all. It was designed from scratch by land rover internally. The way I see it;

TD5

+ smoother to drive on road, keep up with motorway traffic better than TDi

+ new models, generally higher spec with ACE suspension etc and more comforts in the cab

+ easier to drive off road with all the electronic help from the traction control etc

- pretty bad MPG compared to TDi

- you'll get stuffed by the new tax rules unless you get an older one

- it still rusts even though its newer than the S1

- anything goes wrong with the engine its gotta go down the garage

TDi

+ bombproof engine

+ whole car is easy to work on

+ better MPG than TD5

+ generally much cheaper to run than the TD5 inc. fuel as well as servicing etc

+ Cheap to buy

- Good ones now are rare

- Rust

- Not as good on long road trips as the TD5

- Rust

Edited by Munst

I bought a 2002 TD5 disco, Took the ACE system out and replaced with Anti roll bars so there won't be anymore problems and it is an 'S' so there is no air suspension to worry about, very capable and does it all.....and it'll do around 600 miles to a tank (and thats "spirited" driving)

Regards,

Gixer

Another vote for the Terrano.

I've had 3 Discovery's, a 300Tdi, a V8 4.0 Series II and a Facelift 53' Plate TD5 XS.

I got cheesed off with all the problems with the Disco's and bought an old SWB Terrano just for shooting/fishing and got the Mrs an MPV for the kids.

The Terrano is wider in the boot area than the Discovery is if you have a 7 seater. I've still got the Plastic boot protector from the Disco which fits into the back of the Terrano (with the Seats down) and has room either side of it.

I find the Terrano as good if not better off road than my Disco which had the difflock, just seems not to slip and slide around as much and has equally if not more ground clearance. It's better to drive round the back roads too, not as harsh a ride as the Disco.

I've had this Nissan nearly a year now, it's an old R' Reg, and it hasn't missed a beat. I've got the 2.4 Petrol and it's more economical than the Disco TD5 too, although the TD5 was an Auto.

Disco's are nice when they are working but I bought my 53' Plate from a Main Dealer with a years Land Rover warranty thank god, it was never out of the garage, I wouldn't have one without a good warranty but chances are that won't help when it starts to leak.

One major problem with the Discovery is that if you fold the rear seats down then you cannot put the front seat very far back so end up driving all cramped up, so it's ok to drive with rear seats in place but awful when you want to put them down to get all your gear in.

Hewey

Edited by Hewey

Go for the 300tdi as the engine has less electronic bits on it. Making easier repiar if your into the diy mechanics.

The engine is a 4 pot as opposted to 5 pots, 300 is manually controled not fly by wire as the td5 is. And best of all the 300 dose not shut the fuel of when going down hill, so you still feel in control. as the td5 can feel out of control.

And if you need to you can run the 300 of veg oil if you need too you can't with td5.

dave

cheers for the vote Hewey,i'm not all alone after all then in prefering the terrano

over the disco. :yes:

my terrano is on a 96-97 plate 'p'

she's a 2.7 turbo diesel.and like your terrano Hewey,she's never missed a beat.

i also like the amount of ground clearance on it,both for off roading and climbing in and out of.

she's also just passed, yet another M.O.T

for the price of a set of front pads £16.63 and a centre section of the exhaust pipe £62.34

so for me it's a 'terrano' all the way... :(

if anyones intrested,,take a look at some vidieo's on 'utube'

type in.....nissan terrano off road and enjoy.... :yes:

cheers all......

hw100ktverminato, let us all know what you ended up buying... :good:

Edited by cometa24/7

Oh boy oh boy, choices who said its best to have a choice. Just cant make a decision Im down to a Disco (supposedly can be unreliable but would do the job size wise) Terrano Commercial (would do the job just size wise but god there ugly) and Toyota Hilux with top ( definatly do the job but expensive) The van I have at the mo is super reliable fairly economical 35-40 MPG depending on my mood and spacious but as its not designed to work off road so is ****e. Have just put Tax 2 new tyres and front brake pads on it so will use it for another few months while trying to make a decision. Thanks for all you input Cunfused