Rescue labrador

just out of interest, why a re home and 12 to 18 months old, are you looking to work the dog? And what do you wish/expect to get out of such a dog

Its taken me over a year to research, plan for, and then locate a breeder to buy from, a dog with excellent working lines I am absolutely confident of taking on. Primarily as this will be the first purpose planed working dog I have owned, and attempted to train to a high standard. Of course there’s no such thing as guarantees of a happy outcome going this route…..

But are you taking a chance, or am I missing the point! :huh:

pavman

:lol: bit harsh we dont know the mans situation a good breed can cost. could be out of work? perhaps other comittmants. i personaly done exactly what he is trying to do. got him 9 months old top full working ped free to good home. turned out to be one of my better dogs. perhaps someboby showing him the attention he desevres. it can work sometimes or perhaps not but isnt that a chance we all take. :huh:

I too took on a return to breeder. He is a handfull and really needed more time than I had to give him. He was / is my 3rd working dog, and I found a pup easier to train than this one as at 8 months he still needed to learn the basics.

He is now MY dog and will do "most"things I want but takes little notice of anybody else when I am not about.

But due to other commitments I didn't have time to take on a pup at the time.

He has taught me a few lessons as well.

1) Never again a rescue dog.

2)Never again a dog, only bitches.

3) Will always be a 8 week pup.

If you have the time and patience I see no reason why not despite what I have just said.

Mine actually came from a breeder in Co Durham as well

I too took on a return to breeder. He is a handfull and really needed more time than I had to give him. He was / is my 3rd working dog, and I found a pup easier to train than this one as at 8 months he still needed to learn the basics.

He is now MY dog and will do "most"things I want but takes little notice of anybody else when I am not about.

But due to other commitments I didn't have time to take on a pup at the time.

He has taught me a few lessons as well.

1) Never again a rescue dog.

2)Never again a dog, only bitches.

3) Will always be a 8 week pup.

If you have the time and patience I see no reason why not despite what I have just said.

Mine actually came from a breeder in Co Durham as well

This seems like good advise to me, however I also see magmans point, we dont know TH circumstance or reasons?

pavman

I got my black lab when he was 10 months and untrained. He has a good pedigree and came from a gamekeeper who breeds them. It only took 6 months to get him working really well and he turned into a very good dog.

I know guys that don't start training their gundogs until there 2 years old.

Mark.

:lol: Pavman Ive been in country sports a long time I found I only got a years experiance in a year, my intention is to try a second hand dog route

None of the replys answered the question I asked :lol: (funny thing this internet)

Are you an MP "first purpose planned working dog" if you remove the spin from this what are you saying.

If you are a southerner ignore this e-mail

From reading this it seems to depend on an awfull lot on the dogs previous expericences.

"M_Robson

I got my black lab when he was 10 months and untrained. He has a good pedigree and came from a gamekeeper who breeds them. It only took 6 months to get him working really well and he turned into a very good dog.

I know guys that don't start training their gundogs until there 2 years old."

I expect that in this time some of these dogs have basic training and if your came from the keeper he probably didn't destroy the kitchen.

Story goes on my dog, (found out full deatails latter.)

Dog was returnd to breeder as the couple were getting divorced and could no longer look after the dog. Here steps in "super hero c'est moi". I take the dog and when start looking into getting his papers and chip details changed I find.

She (teacher) bought her husband a dog (working strain Black lab) for Christmas.

The reason they were getting divorced turned out that his DOG had eaten her Kitchen cause it was left in 8 hours aday, and TAKEN for a walk by a dog walker.

When I got him at 8 months the only thing he was trained in was house trained.

Took a while to get him back into line and a steady house dog, as he did not like beeing left / locked in any rooms. Now OK on all of that, but has taken a lot more work than a new pup I can tell you.

Trev

My dogs never been in the house, never mind the kitchen. All our previous dogs were kept in the house though. I personally noticed a big difference in obedience when keeping the dog outdoors, they tend to get their own way alot when they stay in the house and carry that on when out shooting.

Mark.

Hi TH

I to have owned many dogs, only one other was a lab, we used to lamp for woddies, she would pick up but was never really trained to any degree, got the new pup sat and it is my first taken on as a worker for wildfowling so i have a big hill to climb! no spin, just a desire to get it right if I can.

My point without wishing to cause offence was to understand why you would wish to take on a re home of that age, as from my understanding it can be either very rewarding or a NIGHTMARE. I am always interested in all aspects of dogs/owners. Sorry to say I do not know of such a dog available, but wish you luck in finding what you want, and hope all works out well. :lol:

pavman

TH,

Have you thought about getting an ex-fieldtrials dog?

They are a lot older, 5-6 years old, but will be fully trained and don't take much work.

My dad got a 5 year old black lab which had won lots of trials in Norther ireland and was getting too old to trial. He was FREE and still has many years left in him. He took a little while to get used to the change in surroundings but within a couple of months he was busy retrieving geese, ducks and Pheasants. He's used six days a week along with my dog and they retrieved hundreds of geese each last season. They work very well together.

1538693_f8401b1715_o.jpg

Sam & Finch in action.

Mark.

M R

Nice dogs... what a cracking way to get a good dog

Lamping for woodies.....we used air rifles, it was on a garden centre’s land. My sons worked there and we had permission to shoot the woodies at night, no shot guns as it was near a residential area, woodies came in to roost in the big poplar trees around the plot, let them settle, they don’t like to lift much at night even with a lamp on them. used to get rats as well they used to get after the seed stock.

pavman

• 2 weeks later...
My dogs never been in the house, never mind the kitchen. All our previous dogs were kept in the house though. I personally noticed a big difference in obedience when keeping the dog outdoors, they tend to get their own way alot when they stay in the house and carry that on when out shooting.

Mark.

Never a truer word spoken.

LB :lol: