84 members have voted

1. 1. which configuration do people prefer

• side by side
    • semi
    • pump
    • o/u
    • single barrel
    • hammer

Horses for courses. A semi is easier to load in a hide/hedge but I find less comfortable to carry that my s/s.

O/u or semi for clays definitely. S/s for rough/driven where you are on the move or on a peg.

Have voted semi as this is pigeonwatch after all !

• 2 weeks later...

if i had to pick one of my present shotguns and use it exclusively, it would be my beretta 687 silver pigeion sporting 30". its as good at killing game as it is breaking clays. having said that, a semiauto is more handy to load in a boat, blind, or hide or other cramped confines. they both have a single sight plane (and typically single triggers) so you can switch from an o/u to semi and its not much of an adjustment. i like the 3rd shot in a semi when duck hunting with steel shot because it might come in good for killing cripples etc.. basically, i like them both.

Horses for courses. A semi is easier to load in a hide/hedge but I find less comfortable to carry that my s/s.

O/u or semi for clays definitely. S/s for rough/driven where you are on the move or on a peg.

Have voted semi as this is pigeonwatch after all !

Is there a reason for the s/s preference for rough/driven shootign?

Hi Ferretmanabu,

I'm very lucky as I have one of each and can indulge my preferences !

I prefer sbs for game/rough as it is lighter than my semi and is universally acceptable on game shoots. I'd never take the semi on even the lowliest walk/stand affair. Also my sbs is double trigger so you have easy & instant choice of which choked barrel to use, handy for walking round when you don't know what you'll get.

If I had to go down to 2 shotguns I reckon I'd get rid of the O/U right now. The semi is too useful for pigeons & good on clays, and I never want to sell my AYA no4.

There is a lot to be said for having one gun though, and if that was the case I'd prob. stick with the OU.

What's your preference ?

I use an O/U for formal days and clays! a semi for pigeon and duck and a S/S for rough shooting if I could I would use the semi for the lot!! mind you it might mean I would have to clean it!!

cheers K