Herding Dogs

Just got a 14 week old boarder collie pup.....Can you give me some insight on training. Possibly a training outline and how to proceed. Just some general puppy stuff for now I am hoping to hook up with someone local, (yes Ern that does mean within a 45 minute drive),what should I be encouraging and discouraging. Thanks mate.....NTTF

will you be using the dog on sheep or cattle ? whilst the early stages of training are identical the latter stages need the dog to stay to one side of cattle as cows,as im sure you are aware,kick a fair way.

is your dog from working stock ? do you intend to use a whistle in conjunction with voice and hand signals ?

basic training the same as for a gun dog.

i suggest the first time you take him/her out you allow the dog to see either a gaggle of geese or a few chickens.if you have the dog walking to your right hand side then cast it off with a command of your choice,i use "get on" with a hand signal to the right (in an open field situation).the choice of stop/drop whistle is yours but i prefer my dogs to drop when told to stop i.e. "down" as soon as the stop whistle is sounded.i use two peeps of a one tone whistle for right and one for left for the first couple of weeks combined with hand signals,then either rely on the whistle or hand signals alone depending on the dog.

start with chickens as i say but if you have sheep available that are post lambing and used to being worked this can be of great benefit as they are used to being dog driven and will usually just stand and stare at the dog as you correct commands.

sorry if this is a bit dis-jointed but teaching,as you may have guessed,is not my forte. :*)