Passed my driving test today, what 4 x 4 for £1000

evilstoat

I passed my driving test today, and need a vehicle with at least 6 seats, and would also like to use it for shooting, the misses wants me to get a people carrier, but i got my sights set on either a landrover, or similar

I have approx £1000 to spend maybe a bit more on a squeeze, was looking at the daewoo musso, and similar vehicles as i'm on a budget, diesel preferably.

what could i get for approx £1000 and do you think you could come up with a better alternative with at least 6 seats.

I am 34 so not that youthful

also a good first time insurance firm suggestion wouldn't go a miss, as those stupid online ones keep chopping and changing every five minutes

thanks in advance

Rod

Hi,

I have a pajero and found it to be reliable, no problems in 3 years, touch wood. You can pick a 2.5 diesel for around £850 now. Long wheel base version would cover off the seating I think. Only problem I had was getting an insurance company to cover me but then i was only 24 at the time. Major sticking point I found for the insurance was if it was an auto or not. God knows why that makes any diff but anyway.

mine is a 1990 J 2.5 TDI and has electric everything as standard. Used it over the marshes around here and it did well even with semi road tyres on. Auto engage front hubs as well so none of this reversing to get them to engage.

Two main complaints - fuel consumption and cost of road tax, but then i guess most 4 x4 suffer the same.

Dan

Edited by reddan

Thanks everybody, you gave some brilliant advice, but after a big argument about people carriers with the misses i have now had to go for that, when money is better i may just get a suzuki jimny just for the shooting, but have now purchased a misubishi spacewagon :bye2:

oh well nice and warm, and not having to walk, better than the CB500 and more practical...lol

all the best

Rod

Edited by evilstoat

Whatever you buy for £1,000 will need some work each year to get it through its MOT so be prepared for that. Depends if you want a 4x4 or not and how important a 6 seater is for you.

If 6 seats are a must I might think about one of the peugot estates rather than a 4x4 otherwise i might think about a Defender if you can get away with fewer seats.

• 1 month later...

Suzuki jeep,....cheap to run,.....cheap to insure...theres one in the sales part of this forum...£650 i think....i know they dont have to status of a landy,but put field tyres on em and you be surprised where you can get....doesnt cover ya 6 seat problem tho....well done on passing ya test... :yes: