Twelve quid hide

Inspired by a few suggestions on here, I've knocked up a budget hide. Maybe I'll upgrade it to a lighter gucci version at some stage, but for now this will do. It's no lightweight and it's not pretty, but it cost me the princely sum of £12.50. 5 x Wilkos poles at £2.50 each and some free cam net courtesy of Taff Mason :bye2:

I'm sure my neighbours thought I was mental putting this up in the back garden, hey ho :D

I flattened the ends of the poles in a vice then put a point on them with a bench grinder. I rubbed the paint on the poles with some steel wool to take some of the gloss off it. It's got a seperate cam net "roof" and enough room to easily stand up in. Just need to find somewhere to use it now!

Hide-3.jpg

Hide-4.jpg

Hide-5.jpg

Hide-2.jpg

Hide-1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

top job, that Taff is a good man with a heart of gold.

I'm popping out tomorrow to see if there's any birds around. there was a few yesterday but not loads yet. might be a bit tight as only one field shooting but your welcome to pop over if you like.

I'm about to get 400 more acres signed up as well so as soon as the birds start coming in i know the land owner will be more than happy for a few of us to spend a day or two there. OSR and wheat. might be a bit of a walk. but will look into it more when birds are having it.

but for now Tomorrow you up for it?

Edited by activeviii

top job, that Taff is a good man with a heart of gold.

I'm popping out tomorrow to see if there's any birds around. there was a few yesterday but not loads yet. might be a bit tight as only one field shooting but your welcome to pop over if you like.

I'm about to get 400 more acres signed up as well so as soon as the birds start coming in i know the land owner will be more than happy for a few of us to spend a day or two there. OSR and wheat. might be a bit of a walk. but will look into it more when birds are having it.

but for now Tomorrow you up for it?

Hi Phil, only just seen this. Unfortunately I am travelling back to London on the train this afternoon, work tomorrow :) I'm absolutely gutted as I would have loved to have gone out with you :D

I'm a weekend commuter at present so only am usually away midweek, returning on a Thursday night. I work 'compressed hours' (5 days hours over 4 days), which means I'm usually off Friday to Sunday. But, I've got a lot of accumulated TOIL and and carried over leave so with a bit of notice I can sometimes squeeze in a day midweek.

Hopefully I'll get chance to get out with you another time, but until then - good luck tomorrow and thanks again! Oh, and you're right about that Taff bloke!

I', out on my own then.lol.

I'll let you know how many cartridges i use.

Checking weather for friday as sunday im at the monmouth game fair thing and saturday is kite buggy racing at weston so i need to be there.

Oh and i better check with the wife as well................just in case........you never know she might want me to do some thing............****** that im not asking her.hehe

• 2 weeks later...
"and some free cam net courtesy of Taff Mason" Do you know what the original source of this cam net is?

I'm not sure, but I could hazard a wild guess! :good: B) You might want to PM him. I do have some left from trimming it to size. It is too bulky and awkward to post but if you're ever down this way you're welcome to collect it FOC, although I'm not 100% sure how much is left or if there's enought o make another hide?

• 4 weeks later...
I flattened the ends of the poles in a vice then put a point on them with a bench grinder.

Just flattened the ends of my Wilko's poles yesterday, good tip about the grinder don't know why I didn't think of it!.

Think I'll spend 1/2 hour in the shed tomorrow with the bench grinder

This turned out to be not so good an idea. The metal is too thin and the ends bend too easily, so back to the drawing board. Inspired by this thread - cheers bluebarrels :( I added some aluminium ground spikes and kick plates made from some cut down shelf brackets that were knocking round the garage. I think I may have used a slightly different assembly method to BB but basically the same.

Some pics below of them assembled and of one painted up. I hope to try them out on Thursday or Friday

351.jpg

354.jpg

355.jpg

In the end I flattened the ends and folded them over to make the points. Added the shelf brackets and sprayed the whole lot matt black with some spray paint in the garagae.

Looks quite good and stick in the ground fine.

Just need to get out and use them in anger now

have you any birds coming in then. i have nothing here.

new rifles in the cabinet yesterday and no lamp man either so i still haven't been out, been months now.lol.soon i hope, soon.

hot barrels for tomorrow blunder :hmm:

No nothing ;) You? Looking forward to the OSR harvest! :lol:

Edited by Blunderbuss

No nothing :rolleyes: You? Looking forward to the OSR harvest! :D

Nothing much either.

just got an other permission and allowed rifles as long as i respect, goes without saying, the public foot paths. need to get police approval yet. about a month they said :lol:

i have to get in the workshop(shed) soon and get these deks flock coated but its finding time.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. It's a bit billy basic but I'm quite chuffed with it.

:hmm: No, but when I eventually 'upgrade' I'll probably give it away to some one starting out.

Hi Im just starting out