Cartridge loads.

Cranfield

I have mostly shot 30 gram loads for pigeon, but when clay shooting lately, I have been using 28 gram loads.

This week I shot clays with a chap who was using 25 gram loads. He broke clays cleanly at distance and the reduced shot sound was very evident.

Is anyone else shooting "light" loads for pigeon and how effective are they with clean kills ?

thanks lads, I am going to try lighter loads to reduce the shot noise, but I don,t want to lose too much "hitting power".

20 bore users must shoot lighter loads than 30 gram, they kill pigeons consistently.

Do they vary their shot size with the smaller cartridge ?

I wouldn,t want to go to smaller shot than No.7, but it might be worth trying No 5, with the lighter loads.

I tried some lighter loads at the Clay Grounds today and was then informed, that the lighter loads have no influence on the amount of noise the cartridge makes.

The lighter load just becomes faster, as the powder load remains the same.

I was advised that some brands of cartridge, are reputed to be quieter.

Does anyone know which ones ?

I do not want to go to sub-sonic cartridges, as they are too slow for my shooting.

Some brands of cartridge produce higher muzzle velocities when fired, giving a greater hitting power and I expect tat the noise is more to do with this than anything else.  Quality of powder must figure too.  

There was a cartridge review in "The Field" recently which looked at various types of cartridges and compared this, so see if you can get hold of an old copy.

Some cartridge boxes give power ratings on the labels.  The shot I have been using recently was 1400lbf.  Subsonics are about 1000lbf (i.e. just over 2/3 the power) (if my memory serves me right).

I shoot 30g for pigeon. (3 Crowns, Grand Prix)