Ford Ranger??

MerseaDavid

They're fine if the only off roading you do is going up the kirbs in supermarkets, out side the school gates etc.

they are to light on the back end to get any proper grip, ok on the flat as long as it's not too deep, but once you start going up an incline forget it,

not bad for towing upto about a ton or should that be tonne, if you are going to do any serious off roading then the way forward is one of solihulls finest :good:

I live in Wales (lots of rain, lots of hills) 90% of the farmers have landrover 90's the other 10% have dihatsu fieldman or what ever they are called, makes ya think..

Edited by markb

They're fine if the only off roading you do is going up the kirbs in supermarkets, out side the school gates etc.

they are to light on the back end to get any proper grip, ok on the flat as long as it's not too deep, but once you start going up an incline forget it,

not bad for towing upto about a ton or should that be tonne, if you are going to do any serious off roading then the way forward is one of solihulls finest :good:

I live in Wales (lots of rain, lots of hills) 90% of the farmers have landrover 90's the other 10% have dihatsu fieldman or what ever they are called, makes ya think..

3 tonne towing and all pickups light on back end,solihulls finest most unreliable vehicle on road and most uncomfortable,had landrovers on farm for 20 years,swapped to pickups 8 years ago and would never go back,look on cattle market car park and see how the landrovers are going less and the japs are growing in popularity :good:

apart from anything else Landrovers are so expensive to buy in the first place for agricultural use.

I've had all that Solihull can produce, but refuse to be stranded on the hard shoulder again. I will never buy another Land Rover again. And you pay through the nose for UNRELIABILITY.

Phil

I had a 2003 model

Rear leaf springs broke at about 75K, glow plugs a bit before that; Power steering pump went at 90K, just after I'd sold it!

Put a bit of weight in the back, and some proper tyres on.

The only thing that stopped mine was when I bottomed it out in a bog :good:

JIm

We have the Ranger and also the Mazda, both identicle bar the badge!

I do a LOT of off road work with my Ranger. The only thing I would change in the design is the back springs to coil instead of leaf, I've broken a sew sets in both the Ranger and Mazda. Had both the standard and toughened sets but with the abuse I give them they only last a year or so before ones broken! :good:

I've had it in places a lot of guys have said their trucks wouldn't go.

Mark.

I have a new Thunder arriving this week hopefully. Drove the Wildtrak and found the powertrain (3.0 TDCi) to be unsuitable for the chassis - a bit too much all or nothing. All the Rangers I've driven felt like they could do with a few hundred kilo's of sand or ballast in the back but to be far at the time I was comparing them to a Discovery 3 which was ultra comfy on road and pretty good off too.

The 2.5TDCi model is the only vehicle the farmer on my permissions owns and that guy knows his onions ...