Mitsubishi Shogun Torjan 2.5 Vs Nissan X-Trail (either 2lt or 2.5)

Psyxologos

Title says it all really. I was quite set on buying the Shogun until I had a look at the Nissan website. Their X-Trail seems to be more generously equipped and has better performance and emissions figures. I am between minds. I need a vehicle that will perform on and off road equally well. I need it to be comfortable and safe enough to take the wife to and from work as well as take me to the areas I will be shooting (farmland and marsh).

My budget is up to £14,000 and Mitsubishi have some nice P/X offers with 0% finance for 4 years. Nissan seem to think it is not needed. Any ideas?

i have a trojan and well happy with it.there will be little wrong with an xtrail as well so the choice will be down to you.i think the trojan is more a workhorse and as my father has owned and abused shoguns on the farm since the early 80s there was only one brand that came to mind. mitsubishi. if they can suffer my father on the farm day in day out the trojan would suffer me.i`m getting 32/33 mpg and it has a world of space for my dogs and guns etc in the boot.it revs a little on the motorway, just the way it is geared i suppose but i can live with that.

What about comfort, torque and speed?

I know the Trojan comes in 114hp and the X Trail in 173hp, quite a difference on the top speed. Do you take your Mitsubishi in the motorway for trips, say 2 hours long or so? How does it fair? Some say that it hurts the back etc...

i find it very comfortable.as i say the xtrail would mind me as more a family/car orientated jeep. i `m sure the xtrail would be faster than the trojan. the trojan is sluggish but i`m not a fast driver. i never expected a jeep to drive like a car.

That is what I expected to hear. It makes sense. The important thing is that you say you find the Trojan comfortable. This is something I need as it will be used on the road (primarily) and therefore it needs to allow comfort. As long as it is not too sluggish on the road i should be fine. on the other hand, if the X Trail is not useless off road it might be a better choice for what I need it to do. Decisions, decisions decisions

i liked the fact the engine was plain and simple.i believe gizzmos are only something to go wrong.theres not much in the line of computers and lights to start giving trouble.i`m sure the xtrail will have more up to date stuff on them.as long as i have ac and leccy windows i`m happy.as said before it`s pretty much the same engine my dads been using the last 20 odd years with no trouble whatsoever.if i had have wanted a flashy jeep with all the mod cons i could have bought a cherokee or the likes.i`m old fashioned and want as plain a vehicle as i can get. less to go wrong,both jeeps will be fine test drive both

Given the fact you have £14k to spend .. in my opinion forget the Shogun Sport !!

Obsolete model, too slow (0-62mph in 16.8 secs) not very fuel efficient (27mpg) but you should have about £6k change, because they are obsolete a good one with low miles from a dealer should cost in the region of approx. £7-£8k depending.

Why not purchase the Shogun 3.2lt, Eqippe ??

A big comfortable 4x4 superb off road and reasonable on tarmac.

3.2lt engine, 168bhp, 27mpg, 110mph to speed and 0-62 in 12.2 secs.

Your choice of 3 or 5 door and £14k should purchase a 2 year old model after a haggle :good:

The X-Trail is a very good vehicle on road ... not so good off road but certainly better than some of it's main rivals (Rav4 & CRV etc).

I am a little confused by your 2lt or 2.5lt.

The 2lt petrol ?? .. The 2.5lt petrol ?? .. (32mpg & 29mpg)

The 2.2dCi (older model) and the new 2lt dCi are superb performance wise and very good on fuel at 38mpg. The better model is obviously the latest one (2lt dCi) and £14k may just purchase a good example, the older model will again leave you plenty of change.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Land Rover Freelander 2.2lt S spec. superb vehicle on road and reasonable off road.

Don't believe all you hear about reliability, it's a very good comfortable 4x4 with some very good deal's to be had.

Just my opinion :good:

Barn owl is right they are very different cars, the Xtrail is a jacked up estate car and not much good off road, if your offroading is well made up farm tracks it should be fine but otherwise forget it. The mitsubishi is far better off road but obviously you pay for that on road but with haggling you should get a pretty new shogun for that sort of money

Many thanks to both of you.

@Barn_Owl: you are right. I was refering to the X Trail 2lt dCi 173bhp diesel. It is a 2007 model (the new engine I think as it is a September registered) They are about £14k with around 12-14k on the clock as approved used.

@al4x: I was looking at the Nissan website and the 4x4 system the X trail comes with (I cannot remember how they call it, real 4x4 or something) sounds good. It is electronically controlled, which may or may not present problems, but it has controlled descent (limited to 4mph), assisted ascent etc.

As you both say, the Nissans seems to be better than the Shogun on road, while the opposite is the case for off roading. My wife will be using the car primarily on road and I will be taking the car to shooting grounds, wildfowling (not in the marsh, but maybe to muddy plains or sandy areas) etc. If the X Trail can do this, I will be verry happy.

As far as the shogun is concerned, I understand your point about the 3.2 equipe. They certanly have more 'nerve' than the older model, but they cost a lot to tax (£400) and the mpg are much worse than the Nissan's (27mpg as opposed to 38mpg or better).

Decisions, decisions decisions!

with that useage then you should be fine with the x-trail, ignore the electronic trickery as sometimes particularly when it gets very sticky you're better off without it. All it does is tells the computer you've got no grip and subsequently gets overwhelmed.

The only other option would be the toyota rav 4 d4d very similar car to the nissan, good on road and has 4x4 and similar economy, if you don't need the size of the mitsubishi then go for a smaller option. Of course with that budget you'd get quite a good freelander

with that useage then you should be fine with the x-trail, ignore the electronic trickery as sometimes particularly when it gets very sticky you're better off without it. All it does is tells the computer you've got no grip and subsequently gets overwhelmed.

The only other option would be the toyota rav 4 d4d very similar car to the nissan, good on road and has 4x4 and similar economy, if you don't need the size of the mitsubishi then go for a smaller option. Of course with that budget you'd get quite a good freelander

Thanks for that. Well, initially I was thinking of Land Rovers or Range rovers, but after reading posts here I was put off them. People keep saying that they present problems more often than they should, and the reliability is an issue. For me this is important, as I do not have the knowledge/time/money to sort issues out. I just need something that will be reliable and require minimal attention. I don't know...

:good::good::P:P

with your budget you could get a newer freelander and probably a warranty to go with it. A lot of the negative press comes from the older ones and ones that are used hard, in your kind of use on a newish low mileage one it should be pretty hastle free and a lot better off road than the x trail

Hope this helps...and not make it more difficult :P

I have a shogun 3.2 equip leather auto etc. I have done 45k miles in 11 months serviced once, motorway as well a lot of off road work, i fitted AT Grabbers all terrains which hasn't really effected the road noise or handling, if anything handling is better and they last longer than road tyres. It's a dream to drive with the auto box and cruise control.

Great for towing. Only thing i would say is Mits are expensive to service with dealer, independent is much cheaper (same with most cars). I have 4 dogs soon to be 5 and carry alot of kit and there is tons of room, had 2 discos and they were not as cheap to run and needed better care and attention keeping them running.

Mines done 116k now and have a friend whos has an ex highways agency one with 240k on the clock and no problems towing horses the whole time. :good:

I will add that when i'm off road, i'm really off road and wouldn't expect a smaller 4x4 to be able to get to some places... :P if your not doing that sort off roading it easy and cheaper with the xtrail. :good:

That sounds good Spaniels. You are right. this does help, but makes it more difficult. I am not sure really. I like Land Rovers, no question about that. As a matter of fact, after the last couple of posts I went to the Land Rover website for approved used. For around 14k (plus VAT) that are a bit more expensive than the competition (as one would expect). I put in as search criteria that I want a vehicle with less than 20k on the clock. Four cars came up. They all look nice, and well looked after. They are 2007 and 2008 models, and they still have >10k offset (whatever that means).

I like the idea that I will be able to go to places with difficult access without much thought and come out of them, but as it stands I have no such place in mind. It is nice to know you can though, isn't it? I just do not know whether it is worth the extra money to be honest.

My list seems to grow longer. I thought I was convinced on buying a Shogun, then the X Trail came along, and now this. I now have a headache...

:good::good::P:P

in the current climate take the prices on the landrover website with a pinch of salt, go down test drive and haggle and you may be surprised. Also don't discount the independant dealers as they will be cheaper and you can still get warrantys.

What might be worth a look if you've got somewhere near is looking at one of the car supermarkets that seem to be cropping up, not necessarily to buy but so you can go and have a look and try a few different vehicles to see what you like

in the current climate take the prices on the landrover website with a pinch of salt, go down test drive and haggle and you may be surprised. Also don't discount the independant dealers as they will be cheaper and you can still get warrantys.

What might be worth a look if you've got somewhere near is looking at one of the car supermarkets that seem to be cropping up, not necessarily to buy but so you can go and have a look and try a few different vehicles to see what you like

Thanks for that. I am not good at huggling. I mean, I am just too 'scared' to do it, and do not know what to say really. something along the lines 'I like the car, but I think it needs to come down in price by £1,000 before I buy it' would most probably lead to me getting chucked out of the dealership, surely. No? :good:

Indipendent dealers offer 3 months warrantee at best. Dealerships are much better with 12 months or so, this is why I look at dealerships only. :good:

Good idea about the car supermarket. Might worth a shot. :P:P

I know the feeling with haggling are you far away i could lend my missus on commision basis she has no shame :good:

the other alternative is just to say to the salesman that you've seen a similar one elsewhere at a certain price can he match it etc

As far as warranties are concerned you can actually buy them yourself a quick quote on warrantydirect comes in at about £37 a month for a freelander which is quite hefty but gives peace of mind for major mechanical issues.

We had a trip round the car supermarket at white city when my sister was looking for a car as she had no idea what she wanted, having sat in a number of different cars she eventually found one she liked and in fact bought it and its been trouble free so far, bonus being it was one afternoon to look at about 10 different models