Express 36g

Whitebridges

I often use a mixture of 30g and 32g 6,s and don't honestly notice much differance.

The 32,s throw out more pellets and tend to have a bit more kick due to the extra force needed to propel them but I would say the speed is the same. That is using the same make cartridge which in my case is Express.

Basically you have a bit more chance of hitting the target with 32,s due to the extra pellets.

As I understand it the heavier weight just refers to the weight, and therefore number, of shot with the charge adjusted to give a similar speed for the different loads in a similar brand. I also understand that more shot doesn't give a wider spread, just a denser spread and so a heavier load will have more impact due to more pellets striking the target. Taking this further in terms of shooting pigeons does this relates to less pricked birds and more clean kills?

If I'm right then this surely means to be as humane as possible we should use as heavy load as reasonable? Anyone agree, disagree?

Also, is a tighter choke more humane as this will also give a more dense/smaller spread of pellets. You may hit a few less but you will kill more of the ones you hit cleanly. Again, anyone agree, disagree?

As I understand it the heavier weight just refers to the weight, and therefore number, of shot with the charge adjusted to give a similar speed for the different loads in a similar brand. I also understand that more shot doesn't give a wider spread, just a denser spread and so a heavier load will have more impact due to more pellets striking the target. Taking this further in terms of shooting pigeons does this relates to less pricked birds and more clean kills?

If I'm right then this surely means to be as humane as possible we should use as heavy load as reasonable? Anyone agree, disagree?

Also, is a tighter choke more humane as this will also give a more dense/smaller spread of pellets. You may hit a few less but you will kill more of the ones you hit cleanly. Again, anyone agree, disagree?

Thanks for that Eddie. Cleared up the confusion I had. Heavier weight means more shot in the cartridge and therefore charge has to be adjusted accordingly. Thank you.

Lot of views on value of the extra shot, doesn't always follow that extra = better, well worth checking the patterns on some sheets of paper with different cartridges to see what suits your gun. My Dad used to have a pattern plate set up in a field and it was very interesting to see how different loads compared. That only tells part of the story as the plate doesn't give the third dimension, stringing can have disastrous effects or may help spread the shot even more as you swing the gun to the target.

I use both 30 and 32 gram 6's for pigeons and can miss 'em just as well with either.

With 36g you can afford to open the choke up a bit more so have the same shot density over a larger area.

Dave

Theoretically but it don't always work that way does it.

If you are carrying 36g cartridges about instead of 30g thats 600 grams (1.32 lbs) extra to lug about per hundred !!. Plus they cost more anyway, better to spend the money on some shooting tuition and use the weight saving to carry more pies. :huh::lol:

LOL I know what you are saying about the weight but I have about a pound of extra weight in the but of my gun to balance it out so weight in the field means nothing to me. When you have patroled with 100lbs or so in yer kit the odd pound here or there realy is not a big deal shoot 1 rabbit and you have trebbeld the 600g but i guess your comment was a little tongue in cheek.

Dave

At £30 for 250, I think i'll give 'em a try. Should be ideal for the Duck as well.My concern was that I might risk filling birds up with lead. My Teknys sporter is a multi-choke, so i'll open things up to cylinder choke. I'm not too bothered about the extra weight, but this is a good point. Thanks for all your replies to my post.

:huh: March 31st Whitebridges started this topic, what is the significance of that?

Are we to assume that every post today is an April fools joke?

The frightening thing for the future of shooting is that far too many people are coming on here and are still ignorant of the law regarding toxic shot.