Flappers

Hammergun

There's this chap into pigeon shooting I was talking with down the pub who uses three flappers as his decoys.  I looked at the gunshop today and they are £12 each, and you need a long length of cord to the hide and a long stake.

So you sit in your hide with three of these things out there, pulling on the strings like mad, hoping to catch the eye of a passing pigeon, then you've got to let go, and get your gun and fire.  Seems a lot of effort to me.  

So...Are they worth the effort?

I was toying with the idea of buying one of these flappers but have changed my mind.Like you say it is a bit fiddly. So as soon as lazza lets us know if the flapper that he has just taken delivery of is any good i will definately be buying one as it runs of a battery.So come on lazza whats it like?

Regards sean. :(

I,m not sure about three at once, but I did use one, pre-rotary device days.

They bring movement to a decoy layout, anything that does that in a natural looking way, has to be good.

My method was to give the string a tug, which opened and shut the birds wings, when I saw any pigeons in the distance.

If the birds started to come my way, I stopped "flapping", in case I spooked them.

I have heard that in areas, where the rotary device is alleged to be scaring birds away,through overuse, the flapper is making a comeback.

Of course, you can get electric ones now, as well.