Which 4x4

Doc Holliday

I've been thinking about getting a 4x4 for a wee while now and was interested to know what you guys could offer me in the way of insider knowledge.

Personally, I'd be content with a beaten up old green Landie but the other half said she wouldn't be seen in it (maybe not such a bad thing).

After some more thought I was thinking about a SWB Defender although the other half has been banging on about a shiny black Range Rover. Ok, I know I'm in the heating & plumbing game but even I couldn't stretch to that. Plus she wouldn't want to get it muddy (Yes, I know so please don't even go there).

The thing I like about the Defender is that it looks like it does what it says on the tin plus I would be too bothered if it got the odd ding here & there. I did point out to the other half that the old Landie would start every time (maybe that's being a tad optomistic) and would pull hers out of the ditch that she would most likely fall into with her shiny black jobbie.

Anyway, I'd like to know if there are any inherant problems with said Defenders and what age/mileage would be the cut off point. Or if you could suggest something more befitting. SWB is an absolute must as I've driven a LWB Frontera off road before and the really do have a big, long *** on them (makes it a tad tight for getting round tight corners with trees in the way).

Anyway, thanks in advance.

No! No wind up, but pardon me to hell for asking advice. Maybe I should have given it a bit more thought but the latter part of your post would have sufficed along with a splash of manners or cordiality maybe. I could recommend a distance learning course for you if you're interested?

Heating guy,

I've had a Defender, a Range Rover vogue, an Isuzu Trooper and currently have a Nissan Patrol.

All of these are more than capable off road.

Guess it depends on the money you want to spend and what you want it for.

The Range rover would have a bit more of a luxury feel to it, so maybe the other half could be placated.

Happy 4x4 hunting.

Rob.

Photos of the last two. Isuzu in The Peak District and Nissan in Wales.

post-1230-1240057161.jpg

post-1230-1240057170.jpg

I‘ve had a few 4x4s over the years, Landrovers are good if you don’t want comfort just the ability to get around, swb is like sitting on a roller skate but will do what you want, I gave then up and bought a Range rover has the comfort and to date has never been stuck, personally I think it is the perfect all-rounder.

No! No wind up, but pardon me to hell for asking advice. Maybe I should have given it a bit more thought but the latter part of your post would have sufficed along with a splash of manners or cordiality maybe. I could recommend a distance learning course for you if you're interested?

oh touchy aren't we, after a long day in the office, I'm short on polite. sorry.

Not enough information supplied "THG". :lol:

What is the MAIN purpose of the intended vehicle ??

What is the secondary purpose (family car ?? any kids ??) ??

What is your budget ??

How good are you on CAR mechanics ??

There is a wealth of knowledge available from the PW members but we all have our own opinions, cars are like women :lol: we all look for individual idiosyncrasy's when choosing a wife and the same applies when choosing a 4x4 .. unfortunately there's NO perfect women and there's NO perfect 4x4.

Take Rob's Patrol .. in my opinion a superb vehicle, but try and find a good 4.2lt today :lol: very rare without any mechanical / body work 'problems' due to age.

The same applies to the Isuzu .. has it had all the recall work done ?? if not expect ££££££.

Which model ?? 3.1lt or 3lt ?? LWB or SWB ?? I assume the SWB but parts are becoming very expensive unless your in the know .. or member of some off-road club.

Land Rover Defender .. where to start without knowing your budget !!

My choice would be a Defender Td5, County spec trim, 2004(ish) year, £8,000 should get a 40,000 mile model but depending on Vat, .. are you Vat registered ?? Will it be a company vehicle ??

There again a Disko commercial .. certainly more comfort and the same running gear.

Can you appreciate why MGMan thought it a "wind up" ?? :good:

The list is endless and there's good and bad points to EVERY vehicle.