Larsen trapping

Rob_88

Hi

I currently have a larsen trap set up with a magpie call bird in it, but I am having trouble catching anything. I regularly see a pair of magpies in the field where the trap is but no joy. Could something be wrong or am I just to impatient.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out?

Cheers Rob

Rob,

I've found that the following points can help:

* Always ensure that the call bird has two perches in his compartment so that he can hop from one to another - its the movement that attracts the others, otherwise some of them have a tendency to just sit on a single perch like a stuffed parrot.

* If possible, raise the trap up by about 2 or 3 feet, i.e. on a bale, pallets or similar. Some birds have an annoying tendency to walk around and around the base of the trap, they never seem to realise that there is a door on top..!! Also, **** around the base of the trap to deter foxes, otherwise they will rip the trap and bird(s) to pieces..!!

* If you've not caught within 24 hours, move the trap elsewhere, then bring it back with a new freshly caught call bird, preferably a big old aggressive cock bird, and place it as near to the maggies habitat as possible - you will almost certainly catch them both then.

* ALWAYS check the trap daily, and make sure that the call bird has fresh food, (I use packets of Meaty Chunks dogfood), and clean water.

Good Luck - I caught 63 in my back garden a couple of years ago - they just kept coming and coming...!!!

Jake,

A locally caught bird will still draw other locals into the trap - I don't know why, as they're very smart birds, and presumably can recognise friend from foe, but believe me, it will work.

The best place to get a call bird from is a local Gamekeeper - find out where your nearest keepered Estate is, track him down and give him a bell - he will be more than happy to provide you with a bird, as they know that the more people that are actively trapping in their area, the better it is for them.

If you can't get a call bird, get a pack of 6 (value) eggs from Tesco's or Asda's, (up your way, Morrisons perhaps..??), make a "nest" of straw in one of the catch compartments, put 3 eggs in it, then break an egg on top of the trap, also scatter some broken eggs around the trap to make it look as there has been a real family bust up recently, then wait up to 48 hours for your first bird.

If you don't catch within 48 hours, move the trap away from the area, ideally at least 300 yards, then start again with fresh eggs on top of the trap, and you should be in luck.

When you have caught a bird, put him straight into the catch compartment - you will need a pair of thick gloves to pick him up, otherwise you will get pecked..!!

Make sure that the bird has two perches so it can hop around - that is what draws the others in, also it must be fed, watered and checked every day, (by law).

Once you have a call bird, there is no need for any eggs in the trap, although I sometimes put one in for the call bird - some luv 'em, others completely ignore 'em..!!

Rotate the call bird regularly, and elevate the trap on bales or pallets if possible, as it is less likely to be attacked by foxes if elevated.

Good luck, keep us informed on how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been getting dozens of Carrion Crow for the last few weeks now. One tip is to keep moving the trap around all the small woods on your ground, look for any dead trees, usualy Elm, and place the trap near them as the crows use these as vantage points when looking for songbirds returning to their nests to feed young. Each time you catch a bird replace the one in the trap with it.

Good luck

Mark.