All the Gear, No Idea.....

Ziggy

Hi,

New member - first posting.

Newbe Pigeon shooter - long time clay shooter, but gave it up due to boredom.

For some reason these pigeons are'nt coloured orange or flying in straight lines !

Also I keep shouting PULL.....but it doesn't seem to be working.

Been pigeon shooting for a couple of months - bit of walked up, bit of flight lines and recently got a cheap hide and some shell decoys - some success with some kills, but feel I'm lacking some of the basic knowlege.

Any advise from experienced hands, or gained knowledge learnt by shooters in similar position to myself appreciated.

A few immediate questions:

1:One field I shoot was sewn with Haylage a week ago. No seeds left on the field surface now and just starting to sprout - still worth a couple of hours patience ?

2:Another field of rape, which has been desimated for about two months.....still worth a punt ? How late can you shoot over rape ?

Thanks to all.....

I would suggest you fill in your location on your profile, this means that you may find someone local to you who could give some "hands on" advice.

Look for the birds and you will see where they are feeding and thats where you want to be.

In my area they are still on short rape, in the tractor tracks and headlands.

They are also on new tree buds and clover.

Hopefully, they will get to the peas soon. :good:

Hello mate,

You'll find loads of great advice here, ideal for specific questions like those you posted, and Cranfield's offered some sound advice there.

John Humphreys' book Shooting Pigeons will help you a lot... it's not expensive and it offers really good tips.

Watching the pigeons with binoculars will teach you loads too... invest in a pair but don't go mad with Zeiss and such like... a 'normal' pair of binos will do.

:good: And best of luck to ya

Hi mate I recently bought a book by John Batley - The Pigeon Shooter, 2nd Edition Includes Magnets

Im half way through it already & I've already learnt plenty about where Im going wrong or potential reasons why.

Have a look on Amazon, they have them on there or try your luck with that robbin ba***rd auction site... you know the one.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ziggy ,

I have written a short basic guide paper for the newbie pigeon shooter which some from this site have read and found helpful, if you wish me to send it just mail me your e-mail addy and i will return mail it FOC same for anyone that wants it.

1:One field I shoot was sewn with Haylage a week ago. No seeds left on the field surface now and just starting to sprout - still worth a couple of hours patience ?

I hate to be a pedant, but land is sown with grass seed. Haylage is the end product, after harvesting and packing.

Ziggy ,

I have written a short basic guide paper for the newbie pigeon shooter which some from this site have read and found helpful, if you wish me to send it just mail me your e-mail addy and i will return mail it FOC same for anyone that wants it.

Bandwagon, on, jumping :good: PM sent!

If you are looking to learn from books then check out Abe bookshop its got loads of second hand books at a fraction of the price they are selling on E-***

I believe that going out without the gun and watching what is happening is by far the best way! Good luck and stick wiv it, big bags are on the way!!!!