Old Eley carts

caplock

Hi all,

Has anybody seen any of these before. I guess it's a question for the 'old sweats'! :lol:

They are paper cased, smokeless 6shot and from reading the packaging throw out a bright light with the shot pattern.

Haven't tried one it would be a shame to judging by the age of them.

Anyone know approx what year they were made or how much they're worth??

Cheers John

post-18-1112458169.jpg

Worth about £10- £20 depending if you have the origanal 5 cartridges with minimum corrosion and the box is good.

Dating from the 60's I beleive. Not worth firing them, shame to blast away a peice of British cartridge making heritage.

Edited by sam f

This is my lucky day, I happen to know the cartridge in question. During the war they where used extensively by the RAF for clay pigeon shooting in the training of air gunners, but in those days they were printed with two black bands and big arrow,(which didn't stop Dad and I from using them). However, I think the one's in the pictures are sample hand-outs of a slightly later date. That's the best I can do, except to say, It was rather interesting to see a little "tracer" going through the air.

Best regards,

Feather.

Ahh... when in doubt call pigeon watch out!

Cheers Ern for the link to the thread.

I wont be firing any, they make a nice little curio from days gone by.

There is a warning on the box not to fire near any dry cover within 75 yards and also a word about eating any shot game taken with them. I wonder whats in them,no doubt something very banned in these health and safety days!!

Cheers John

post-18-1112478416.jpg

I know how you feel about not wanting to use them. I have 6 Eley #6 paper/waxed cartridges which are at least 40yrs old. When I started shooting you could still get them, just. These were the only Eley ammo I liked, personal thing. But these old ones that I found, belonged to my Grandfather and his son. Both dead. They are orange cases. I'm alway temped to use 1 but never do. I have to say I loved paper cases, except on a wet day. :lol: I think they renew found memories of my Grandfather. :ernyha:

They are orange cases.  I'm alway temped to use 1 but never do.  I have to say I loved paper cases, except on a wet day. :D  I think they renew found memories of my Grandfather. :D

Around 1943 the only cartridges available were Eley which came in paper case looked like they were made out of brown wrapping paper, with very little or no weather protection on them. At that time I was an apprentice to the local undertaker in the village of Docking Norfolk, which gave me access to coffin varnish, so whenever I managed to get hold of a box 25 I would give them a coat of 50/50 varnish and turps.

There was also a low grade cartridge manufactured for farmers called Scare bird (Eley). They had shot in them but they were always loose, could push the cap in sometimes a 1/4", I had a way of getting around that one too, My Grandfather had a lot of reloading equipment including a crimper, so I would push the load down until it was tight, cut off the old crimp and then turn on a new one. :)

Best Regards,

Feather

Hi all,

Has anybody seen any of these before. I guess it's a question for the 'old sweats'! :thumbs:

They are paper cased, smokeless 6shot and from reading the packaging throw out a bright light with the shot pattern.

Haven't tried one it would be a shame to judging by the age of them.

Anyone know approx what year they were made or how much they're worth??

Cheers John

My word ! !

Are you selling them ?

If so get hold of Holts Auctions and find out if they have a valuation day near you

You will be supprised what they are worth

Old paper carts Always fetch Good money at the auctions i go to they are very! collectable

These should be worth a lot more than normal old carts because they are very rare

WB

PS

Nice pics!

This is my lucky day, I happen to know the cartridge in question. During the war they where used extensively by the RAF for clay pigeon shooting in the training of air gunners, but in those days they were printed with two black bands and big arrow,(which didn't stop Dad and I from using them). However, I think the one's in the pictures are sample hand-outs of a slightly later date. That's the best I can do, except to say, It was rather interesting to see a little "tracer" going through the air.

Best regards,

Feather.

These were not sample hand out's, this is how they were sold to the masses. They contain a phosphorus "tracer" in the centre of the shot load which was supposed to show you where you were shooting, most of the time you could not see it. Cost a fortune (5 cost about the same as 25 cartridges did) and didn't work very often, as was said before somebody stood behind you done a much better job :rolleyes: The phosphorus is poisonous and not really good to eat :o

They are collectable and the full box will be worth more. I think they went out of production in the late 60's early 70's (keep the box too some people collect them also)

Got a list with the price on somewhere if you want to know what they cost when new.

Old paper carts Always fetch Good money at the auctions i go to they are very! collectable

Are old cartridges worth anything if you havent got the box? I have 5 Eley and 3 Joyce, about 1960's? :rolleyes:

pinfires.jpg

Not arf matey ,, old pinfire carts are like GOLD dust!!!

people pay pounds each for used! ones to reload

I'll get you some prices on some pinfire carts that you can buy today "you'll be shocked"

WB

by the way  Welcome Mr. Eightbore hope you enjoy it here

I do a "bit" of collecting my self LOL

at least the wife wishes it was a bit

Enjoy ,

WB

Well Mr. WB. thanks for the welcome. Try to enjoy it, in fact sure I will.

BTW My misses says I collect too much old junk too but when I offered to get ride of some "her" didn't work :rolleyes: :o

Not arf matey ,, old pinfire carts are like GOLD dust!!!

people pay pounds each for used! ones to reload

I'll get you some prices on some pinfire carts that you can buy today "you'll be shocked"

WB

Out of interest you can buy NEW brass pinfires in quite a few gauge at reasonable prices then you can load them as many times as you want. As long as you look after them of course. So don't even think of buying old cardboard cartridges to reload for shooting.

Edited by Eightbore

Hi,

I'd say a box of 12 bore "Rockets" goes for around £5 - £7 amongst experienced collectors. The ones pictured are post 1936 and pre 1939, the brand didn't emerge after the war. The pre '36 Rockets have different box and case print, most notably is the rather old fashioned use of SHEWS, as opposed the SHOWS[the flight of the shot].

I have examples in 12, 16, 20 and the wartime cream/red version with a broad arrow mark. Non of these (along with most Eley-Kynoch ICI) brands are regarded as scarce by collectors, value for and individual shell is around £1 or £2.

I have seen variations on the cartridge with an FN belgium head-stamp, made under license, and an all orange cased version, presumably no grey cases on hand.

In terms of collecting cartridges in general, the rule tends to be; rare Ironmenger or gun maker - good, propriatary brands,e.g. Eley, kynoch - not so good. there are of course always exceptions and I'd urge anyone to consult an experienced collector before disposaal, you may be holding something rare and [relatively] valuable.

I'm at around the 1500 pre WWII British paper rolled-top mark, and always keen to buy or swap to get new examples. you can reply to the thread or get me at tony-green@tiscali.co.uk

I'm always happy to help with questions, provide photos WHY

Cannonite