Goretex camo jacket

bunter

I did a Google search for "Goretex Cammo Jacket" and "Goretex Camo Jacket", there are loads of sites.

Most seem to go up to XL only, but some state "larger sizes available".

It would be worth you having a look.

The American sites especially, have the larger sizes. :(

Thats one of the reasons I like going there, everyone is so "pleasantly plump", I look skinny. :thumbs:

Malc, strangely enough the largest you tend to get from Surplus Stores is XL and they are very rare.

I was looking for an XL waterproof,(that size so I could wear a jacket underneath it) and I had a real problem.

The chap at our local Surplus Store (Sargeants Mess) said that the British soldier is at best, large.

Thats why the most common sizes are medium and large.

• 3 weeks later...

Soldiers are supposed to be fit, you know!!!!

What size is 4XLG?

Does it refer to chest size, inside leg, waist size or something else?

Some of our beaters have bought army surplus goretex trousers and have ended up waxing them.

I bought one of the first Goretex jackets in 1986. I saw them at the Game Fair the year before and, being impressed by the demonstration with barbed wire, I promised myself one. For the first year it was marvelous. By the time it was 2 years old, a net would have kept out as much rain.

I have looked all sorts of breathable coats since. If they're only going to last a couple of years, they're mostly too expensive.

The Swandri coats from http://www.denewear.co.uk are waterproof even though they are made of wool, but too warm for the summer. I had a 4XLG size. If they get soaked (you won't), they take ages to dry out.

I considered a Sport Chief ( http://www.sportchief.com/english/intro.html ) coat but people told me they will leak if you lean on something when wet. They certainly look warm.

I have gone for a Deerhunter Ram ( http://www.deerhunter.dk/p169.asp ) coat for just under £130 from the Sportsman Gun Center at Warden Hill, between Dorchester and Evershot. I had intended to get the Deerhunter Montana but they were a bit shorter, allthough probably warmer. Haven't been out in a real downpour with it yet. Perhaps other people here can tell me what to expect.

Ive just got a PVC camo rain suit from http://www.quality-camo.co.uk to carry for emergency used. The trousers are massive but the coat could do with being larger to go over other coats.

I wanted a really lightweight nylon suit, like the ones that used to be in the Ralph Grant ads in the Shooting Times, but can't find one. Quality Cammo are trying for me.

When I used to push-bike to flight on the foreshore, I just used to wear brown/green jumpers and put on a waterproof if it rained. Motor cars have changed all that. You need to warm up quick after getting out. Perhaps the lower circulation as you get older is the problem, or is it less adrenalin rush once the exuberance of youth has gone?

The stuff from Wearite is priced right. They have no website but you can get a catalogue if you write to them at Park View Works, 257 West Green Road, London, N15 5EG. I know several beaters who have, and like, their coats. They now do a couple of cammo coats for £95.00. They have a shop at 237

Royal College Street, London NW1 (9.30 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Saturday). You can order a catalogue by fax on 0208 809 2912. Let us know what you think of them if you buy something. I had a coat from them about 20 years ago and they are no more expensive now, £60.00. It was just as waterproof as the Gortex but a little less breathable.

Attleburgh Accessories ( http://www.attacc.com ) do a breathable coat up to 4XL but it is up over £200.00.

Their catalogue is well worth looking at, but they are on holiday until next week.

These people ( http://www.sharkgroup.co.uk/country_index.html ) seem to have some good stuff but can't find the prices.

I use Sportschief Clothing I find it's warm windproof and waterproof once when out shooting had to kneel in water for over an hour never got wet or cold. So who ever told you that rimmer must have been a rep for another clothing company,

I would say Sportchief is the best you can get expensive but you get what you pay for.  

Shark produts are very good as well

I have a Musto coat, which is GoreTex and I have no problems with it at all.

Windproof, waterproof, washable and looks smart, what more could you want ? :(

For lightweight nylon waterproof suits, look at the Regatta range.

Some of the boating/sailing websites have some good waterproof stuff and its not all fluoro yellow, or orange.

Just to add a coment regarding Deerhunter Ram jacket, a keeper friend has 1, came into see me to buy cartridges, it was pouring down and he looked drenched, I asked if he was wet, he said he was 100% dry.

Deerhunter jackets have a membrane that keeps out the water, only problem is the camoflage material on the outside isa sponge, it holds some amount of water, realy heavy.

I got a jacket to field test for a company that was going to bring Riverswest H2p camo clothes in to britain from USA,

this is the buisness, rolls royce of waterproof material, (similar to Nomad) it can stretch when you pull it, I am told it takes 100pounds of preasure to penetrate it with a nail.

I went out shooting ducks in a downpour to try it out, I had goretex army waterproof over trousers which I use a lot, after 2 hrs I was soaking to my underwear, when I got home I asked the wife to slip her hand inside the hood to see if it was dry, to my amazement she said it was, so I unzipped the jacket and tryed the inside it was 100% warm and dry.

You can actualy lie with your elbows imersed in watter and at first it feels cold like you are getting wet, but its dry.

watter sheds of it like mercury rolling on the floor, I couldnt say enough about this jacket it is that good.

Now for the down side , the company that was bringing it into the Uk, had a fall out with the supplier in the USA

( www.riverswest.com) and they wont send any over, unless you want to send for them in the states or if you happen to be out there I would recomend them, you would have your mates talking when they have seen it, the cammo patern is first class.

I tryed to order bib and brace to go with the jacket that was kindly gifted to me by the british company,  thats how I found out that they couldnt get anything from the USA so they had to give up.

Sorry this was long winded

Regarding the musto, they dont come in cammo as far as I know, ok for swaning about on a driven shoot where designer labels get noticed, but in my opinion too expensive for me

( only my opinion).

Regards

I use Sportschief Clothing I find it's warm windproof and waterproof once when out shooting had to kneel in water for over an hour never got wet or cold. So who ever told you that rimmer must have been a rep for another clothing company,

I would say Sportchief is the best you can get, expensive but you get what you pay for.  

Shark products are very good as well

The chap who told me that Sportchief leaked was a fellow wildfowler and beater and he was wearing one at the time. He said they were fine, but if he leaned on something then the water would penetrate at that point. I presume it only leaked while he was leaning against something. He said they were exceptionally warm but took ages to dry out, once soaked. He gave £200.00 for it at Sportarm in Dorchester.

There was also a posting on one of the fishing forums that did not think much of Sportchief but I can't find it now.

Glad yours is OK!  They certainly look nice and long. How often do you wear it?

Musto! I know several people, in fact lots of people, who have Musto jackets. Most of them are in the gun line as opposed to the beating line. Keepers who wear them have usually had them supplied by the shoot so don't care if they have to get a new one each season. Others will not wear them beating in case they rip them.

All the Musto jackets that I have seen are of a material nowhere near as durable as the goretex jacket that I had.  

I don't want to spend 2 weeks wages on a coat that is only going to last 1 season!

Is there a cammo Musto jacket?

I also looked at the stuff from http://www.kammo.co.uk . One keeper said the one he had was rubbish while one of the beaters said that the Field Coat SL that he had from them had never leaked a drop, but I never saw him wear it beating. He always wears a Swandri for beating. The Kammo coats in the newer cammo patterns do not appear to be in the same, material as the Field Coat.

N.B. reynard895 posted while I was typing this in!!!

I had a look at the riverswest site. I like the look of the Dakota Waterfowl model. Wonder what the exchange rate will do for the prices.

Nice to hear what was said about the Deerhunter Ram. I was expecting it to get heavy in the rain. Just like the Sportchief!!!

I might get another in a plain colour for wearing on the quad while towing the gamecart next season. Advantage camoflage would be out of place on a £12,000.00 let day!!

I can assure you I don,t wear my Musto coat "swaning" about on driven shoots. :(

It gets worn when I,m fishing, freshwater, sea and game.

When I pigeon shoot, I wear an Advantage Timber net suit, over it.

For "swanning" around on driven shoots, I wear a David Nickerson, waterproof, windproof, tweed shooting coat. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Like most things, you get what you pay for.

I use to buy the £40 waxed coats and throw them away every year.

My Musto coat must be over 10 years old.

hey cranfield

Sorry you took what I said, as a personal insult to your self it was not intended that way.

You would be the first person that I have seen shooting pigeons in a hide with a musto on your back, but who am I to say thats not the case.

I was not knocking Musto they are a first class product which is beyond my budget for shooting, you are obviously a lot wealthier and wiser than me.

What better an advert than a customer that has been using the same jacket for 10 years, either you dont go out a lot or you aint as rough and tumble as myself, theres no way it would last 10 years with me thats for sure.

I am glad you are happy whith your jacket and wish and you a good next 10years with it.

so take a chill pill

Cheers

:(

At the start of last season my better half :love: bought a Barbour Berwick Endurance. Not cheap :what:  but comfortable warm, waterproof and smart. I was going to get one myself for next season, until I saw what happend  after the first drive that she wore it. The outer shell had plucked badly in two places    :thumbs:  =(

The sportcheif coats sound interesting, couldn't find any prices on their site though, are they easy to get hold of in the UK?

I have to say that swanndri are brilliant  :(  :thumbs:  I live in mine. It's just doesn't really look smart enough for shoot days.

At the start of last season my better half :love: bought a Barbour Berwick Endurance. Not cheap :what:  but comfortable warm, waterproof and smart. I was going to get one myself for next season, until I saw what happend  after the first drive that she wore it. The outer shell had plucked badly in two places    :thumbs:  =(

The sportcheif coats sound interesting, couldn't find any prices on their site though, are they easy to get hold of in the UK?

I have to say that swanndri are brilliant  :(  :thumbs:  I live in mine. It's just doesn't really look smart enough for shoot days.

You can find Sportchief here: http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/859/shopscr54.html

and here: http://www.thesportingexperience.co.uk/products.php?cat=1

and here: http://www.euroguns.co.uk/acatalog/Coats_J...s_Trousers.html

and here: http://www.euroguns.co.uk/acatalog/Coats_J...s_Trousers.html

and here: http://www.avalon-guns.com/acatalog/

They seem to be about £100.00 more expencive than Deerhunters. Exchange rate differences betweeen Canada and Denmark?

Glad you mentioned the barbour endurance. I had considered one!!!

Swandri do a tweed stalker still, I think.

Got to get to work now.

Cheers

I've been using sportchief jacket and trousers for the past couple of goose seasons.

I've been out in some massive downpours, usually for around 2-3 hours.

The product has never let me down, it certainly doesn't get heavy when wet, and remains supple in the coldest conditions.

It does, however, take 24 hrs to dry out fully.

The coldest temp I've been out in was -12 and all I ever wear is a buffalo special 6 shirt, and the sportchief, you dont need ANYTHING else to keep warm.

I have noticed though, that if you lie in a wet ditch for an hour or so, water can seep thru' the elbows.  :(

I've been using sportchief jacket and trousers for the past couple of goose seasons.

I have noticed though, that if you lie in a wet ditch for an hour or so, water can seep thru' the elbows.  :(

That more or less confirms what I was told. It might be the case with most breathables.

Bunter! Are you still with us?

I've been using sportchief jacket and trousers for the past couple of goose seasons now and i would not look past them true what decko sayes when you are in a ditch for a morning fight at the geese they do let water in at the elbows but by far the best coat on the market

Thinking about the 1959 Sportchief Aquatex Coat. I'm going to find one to try on first though as there is no way I'm spending that much on something I have only seen a picture of, despite the good comments.

Don't know where you are, but the chap I saw wearing a Sportchief had got it from Sportarm in Dorchester. They certainly look warm and are quite long.

I liked the look of riverswest.com Dakota waterfowl, but it has gone from their website in recent days!

I've bought coats from both Sportarm at Warden Hill, Dorchester and Wearite in London and have been pleased with the service from both companies.

Sportarm gave me a good discount on my Browning so i wouldn't hesitate in dealing with them again.

Do you mean Sportarm in the centre of Dorchester or the Sportsman gun Centre at Warden Hill? I got my Deerhunter coat from the latter.