Pajero LPG - Would you?

pob

Good morning all.

I have been agonising over what shooting truck to get. I had decided on a Jimny because fuel economy is good and they are very capable off road.

Then I completely changed my mind to a 2.8TD LWB Pajero due to space (and toys). I decided that I don't need a serious offroader, just something to get me into and out of a field and the space could come in very handy. The missus has plans for the odd longhaul motorway trip in the new truck but 20MPG or less could really hurt.

I have seen a few pre-converted LPG trucks about, with tanks slung below, so no loss of boot space. It seems like a tempting combination.

I had already picked up that the 2.5 diesel is best avoided. I wasn't worrying too much about the mileage on the diesels, but is this more of a concern on the petrol ones? Can anybody offer me advice/experience on the petrol/LPG variants?

pob

As many PW members will know part of my business is converting vehicles to LPG Autogas.

Personally, I would avoid Discos and such like with underslung tanks. The tanks are generally quite small, and subject to early corrosion and possible impact if the vehicle is off roaded with ambition.

I had a 3 Litre LWB Shogun, to which we fitted what we refer to as the full monty conversion. This involves removing the existing petrol tank, and substituting it with a smaller, specially manufactured tank. The space wich is left the accepts a 70 Litre Autogas tank. Proper job, no loss of boot space. If you look out for a pre converted vehicle which has had this type of job you are more likley to get a better quality conversion and equipment, as this type of job is usually avoided by the budget end cowboy converters.

Feel free to ask questions, if I can help I shall.

webber

Thanks Webber. That's a great help.

One truck I am looking at is a 3.0 described as having a "small" petrol tank, which sounds like you describe, but the LPG tank is described as "Underslung". I'll go and have a look and find out how big the autogas tank is.

POB I'm the other side of the reason, I've got 5 LPG vans at the moment all factory converted so not budget conversions and I'll add a bit in, the economy on our 1.7 petrol engines is about 25mpg on gas and 38 on petrol, you lack a lot of low down torque mostly noticeable on motorway hills when if you flip back onto petrol you can really feel the extra power.

It is cheap which is the upside and we use it as at the moment the vans are congestion charge exempt. Would I buy a pre converted vehicle i'm not sure but it makes more sense than getting one converted yourself. It will work out cheaper than the diesel equivalent but it won't be as much as you think and it does let you run a big petrol engine. It does give another part to get serviced that your local garage won't be able to do.

Generally if gas was that good it would have been accepted properly and manufacturers would still produce vehicles to run on it and they don't thats because the systems aren't that reliable and the costs don't stackup as well as they had hoped.

I should point out that many if not all major motor manufacturers who offered LPG as an option had prety poor kit fitted, but charged broosters for it, and then backed it up with technicians that knew little about the system. Sadly this has led to people like al4x having the experiences that they have, and their resultant opinion.

I would NOT advise any PW member to purchase any vehicle which has been FACTORY LPG CONVERTED.

webber

What about LPG and diesel vehicles, has that technology progressed at all ?

Dave B

Some of the large HGV tractor units are fitted with LPG enhabcement kits. The vehicle still uses diesel, but the LPG makes it burn more efficiently, plus burning some LPG produces more power, and therefore means less diesel is used. Its not really an option for smaller engines.

webber

pob

As many PW members will know part of my business is converting vehicles to LPG Autogas.

Personally, I would avoid Discos and such like with underslung tanks. The tanks are generally quite small, and subject to early corrosion and possible impact if the vehicle is off roaded with ambition.

I had a 3 Litre LWB Shogun, to which we fitted what we refer to as the full monty conversion. This involves removing the existing petrol tank, and substituting it with a smaller, specially manufactured tank. The space wich is left the accepts a 70 Litre Autogas tank. Proper job, no loss of boot space. If you look out for a pre converted vehicle which has had this type of job you are more likley to get a better quality conversion and equipment, as this type of job is usually avoided by the budget end cowboy converters.

Feel free to ask questions, if I can help I shall.

webber

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but what do you make of converted Range Rovers? My old man was looking at getting a converted supercharged vogue, would be one about 3ish years old. He's got a vogue at the moment but wants to save on fuel. Would you recommend?

Jack