Deer Caliber

wildfowler.250

Hello. I have been planning a .223 for some time (have had everything done apart from haven't found the time to get me photos signed :good: ). Anyways I should be getting some land soon to shoot on which has red deer on it, (so .223 wont do) so I was just wondering what calibers you guys would recommend?

I was thinking along the lines of 6.5x55, .270 or .308 but was thinking more towards the 6.5 as I hear its a good caliber with milder recoil and probably less noisey if unmoderated?

Would also consider a .243 but I thought a slightly larger caliber would have a bit more knock down power for larger deer. Meant to say that it would probably be more practicle if it wasnt "overkill" for roe either incase I eventually get some land with them on it.

Anyway would appreciate any opinions, (first centrefire application so probably the smaller the better ?).

Cheers :good:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each calibre has its own merits, and you will get no firm conclusion by asking the 'what calibre?' question.

I do a lot of woodland and hill stalking, and I use a .270, a fire-breathing 7mm STW and a .30-06. I owned two 6.5x55s, and loved them for their mild nature, but it is plain that you need to reload to get the best from the calibre. A .243 is not enough for big woodland reds in my opinion, but it is a cracking roe calibre.

A 6.5x55 is always perceived as a good first-time calibre by FEOs. The .308 will get your further. But don't rule out a 7mm-08. Decisions, decisions!

Get a moderator fitted whatever you do.

I wanted a .308, but because I could only afford one gun, and i needed it for foxing too, our FEO would not let me have the .308 for foxing only for deer :lol: . The biggest calibre he/they would let me have for both was the 6.5x55, so thats what I got :good: I am very happy with it. I would love some other rifles in the future.

But if it was one gun for everything that moves in the UK, I would have to go with the .308. Works on everything from boar to muntjac brilliantly.

:good: But really I want lots :good:

ft

Guest RemmySPS

No such thing as "Overkill"..........Underkill yes, but you cannot kill something deader than dead.

.308 is just about the best all-round rifle calibre there is IMHO

I have owned a .243 Tikka T3 Hunter and love it, as far as roe and smaller deer are concerned I think it does knock them down well but, when it comes to the bigger ones I have no doubt that a SP through the heart and lungs will drop it. But its the sudden shock "drop" effect you want, that sometimes the .243 cant deliver, the 6.5x55 is loved by many on here as it is quite mildly recoiling and is used in Scandanavia to hunt driven Red deer and Elk, so many can vouch for its killing ability, however most factory ammo only comes in the 140g SP variety...if I apply for another one it will be 7mm-08 Remington, it comes in a large amount of sellection. And the ammo is redily available, it has flatter balistics than the .308 and can easily drop Reds, it is one of the most popular owned centerfire cartridges in Australia and New Zeland. It s used to shoot Pigs, Goats, Red deer and Tahr.

Bullets range from 100-150g...

Did I also mention it has 25% less recoil than a .308 :good:

couple that with a T8 and you have a nice, mild shooting rifle that will kill almost all British game :good:

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

Ask 20 people and get 20 different answers.

I have a .270 a 6.5x55 and now a 6x47 lapua, I have the .270 for deer only, deer, fox on the 6.5x55 and deer, fox and vermin/pests on the 6x47 lap.

I would say a 6.5x55 will do everything you want it to and you should have no problems getting it cleared for fox too.

If you want a deer only rifle and you're using a moderator then .270 or 308 and 30-06 are all good rounds with good ammo availibility.

If there was a better choice of factory ammo availible I would have said a 25-06 might be the way to go but, I have a mate who has had his for 6 months loves the calibre but is always struggling for ammo.

I would try and use some different calibres and see what you think.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

All th best

Moses

2 years ago I moved from the UK to NZ and bought a .308 to stalk south island reds and wild pigs and was very happy with it, But....... if I see a 6.5x55 at the right price in a nice light mountain rifle the 308 will never get a look in.

The 6.5 does everything a 308 will do with less recoil., if you fit it with a moderator you will almost be able to watch the bullet stike.But everyone has there own opinion and this is only mine.

PS My best mate has a 25.06 and loves it, loads of .270 and 7mm08 down here as well, actually you should check out 7mm08 as well, less recoil then 308.

Regards DH

Guest RemmySPS
.50 for munties ? Nah ! I prefer to eat what I kill, `cept vermin !

But you couldn't use a 50 cal for Muntjac...they don’t make expanding ammo for them. :lol::lol:

Guest RemmySPS

There are too many people who think that some rifles are too much gun for certain quarry, whereas in reality they should be more concerned with using too little gun.

There are arguments galore over the acceptability of using .22rf for fox because some (including myself) regard it as too little. But it staggers me to find that there are some people who actually regard the 22-250 as being too MUCH gun for foxes - :lol:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopi...184&start=0

Where do you stop? Do you start to try and quantify the EXACT amount of energy needed to despatch a certain quarry ? or do you ascertain that a certain calibre is a bit suspect and then go on to a bigger and more powerful cartridge in the knowledge that you will be ensuring a clean kill.

.308 0n Muntjac is a bit OTT …….IF that is all that you would be using it for, but it wouldn’t be overkill, because you would be using a rifle that is legal and is certain to do the job. Perhaps .243 using a 70grn bullet would be better in one sense, but would the faster bullet actually create MORE damage to the meat? :lol:

What about 7mm-08; lovely round to shoot, but when you consider the numbers of deer that have been shot with a .308 then it’s easy to see why it’s such a popular round.

And finally, as with all things, fashion will always take a part in the selection of a deer rifle, and the venerable 6.5 Swede is the calibre that seems to be on the come-back shooting a big slow bullet that produces little meat damage…….but does that mean that it has a trajectory like a rainbow?:lol:???

And finally, as with all things, fashion will always take a part in the selection of a deer rifle, and the venerable 6.5 Swede is the calibre that seems to be on the come-back shooting a big slow bullet that produces little meat damage…….but does that mean that it has a trajectory like a rainbow? :lol::lol:

Yes, particularly with lumbering factory loads. The 6.5x55 evangelists will always mention the 6.5mm's superior ballistics and inherent accuracy. I can't deny any of it, but it's not my cup of tea. Go 7mm or larger.

Anyone who thinks the .22-250 is too much gun for fox is a nosher, plain and simple.

Hi this is quite a topic as said there is no such thing as an ideal calibre as its down to the person behind it. All this talk of a 243 no use on reds load of rubbish its a good round & iv tryed & tested it. You have a wide range of calibres out there & i dont fancy your job of picking one as i like the 308/7mm08. I had a 243 for 6yrs & wanted a change so i got a 25/06 which i homeload & have no probs getting heads for it as it has got quite popular round here.

Hi this is quite a topic as said there is no such thing as an ideal calibre as its down to the person behind it. All this talk of a 243 no use on reds load of rubbish its a good round & iv tryed & tested it. You have a wide range of calibres out there & i dont fancy your job of picking one as i like the 308/7mm08. I had a 243 for 6yrs & wanted a change so i got a 25/06 which i homeload & have no probs getting heads for it as it has got quite popular round here.

Very true, the Meoble estate on the west coast of scotland use, or used to use nothing but .243 on their reds. But most folk seem to prefer something with a bit more oomph. I have only lately tried a 7mm08 and it was a treat to shoot. It was a half stock Mannlicher with very pretty wood. Well worth considering.

ft

Mar Lodge Estate use .243 as their estate rifles and they shoot literally hundreds of reds a year there on about 80,000 acres so I don't doubt it's up to the job, having seen them in action.

Having said that I must be a fashion victim as I went for a 6.5 x 55 and haven't looked back. Norma alone do enough factory ammo to account for any fox or any deer you are liable to meet in the UK. Add RWS and Federal and you have a sufficient choice of factory loads from 120 to 156 grain - all of which will be more accurate than most of us. Each to their own on reloading, but I am realist and know that factory ammo can certainly out perform my marksmanship. I am not trying to shoot the eye out of a tick on the animal's back, I am looking to take it down with one heart/lung shot from max 225 yards, whether it's a fox or deer. And yes I find it a very gentle round to shoot and not much of a step up from my .223 in terms of recoil etc. Plus the important thing is you will get most Forces, if not all, to give you fox and deer on a 6.5 x 55.

I owe you 2p.

M

I am not disputing that the .243 is an effective killer of hill reds. My point is that woodland reds in southern England are indisputably larger and heavier than hill reds, and for that very reason I think the .243 is borderline. You do not see stalkers in central Europe using the .243 for reds.

I wouldn't use a .243 for a Red Stag, having said that come the day I will be very particular about placement when I take one with my 6.5x55.

The 'not enough gun' comments are based on margin of error, on windy hill laying in a puddle having walked so much your lungs are about to burst you may need to factor that in. Obviously sat in front of your pc or watching hunting DVD's that is much less of a problem :lol:

And the answer to the question 'what is best?' from any stalker will always be "what I use"

And . . it's Calibre, don't let LeeInVa tell you otherwise

The 6.5x55 is a nice calibre. Certainly better than the .243 for the larger species. I have one and love it. It is big enough for Red Stags (it probably falls into the "just" catagory but it is better than .243) and soft to shoot. I don't have a huge experience of other calibres. .270 is quite harsh to shoot in comparison, .308 not quite so but a lot harder on you than the 6.5. It also does Fox very well.

It really depends what you're likely to shoot the most. If you're going for a lot of Reds then as Baldrick says a bigger calibre would be better. I don't dislike the .270 as it's trajectory more than makes up for the bark of the thing going off. It is probably very hard on the Roe though.

I'll vote 6.5x55 because I have one. As has been mentioned above that alone should make it the best calibre ever.

:rolleyes: :blink: