Boat Fishing

ashcmt

Figured i'd reply Chard here might get some other interest then aswell.

Had some brill weekends last year off anglesey and had week down in cornwall.

The anglesey weekends we camped at treadur bay but weather was cack so went over to Treath Bychan and it was gorgeous, had the mackeral virtually jumping over the sides of the boat. Caught some other species, pollack, the odd whiting/doggies etc.

In cornwall I moored it at st anthony, at the helford river. dad used to have a shetland 535 and we used to moor it there, gorgeous place. quite close to the manacles, which we went out and fished. we were one of the only boats that were bringing in regular good catches. mackeral, bass and pollock.

I'm still a bit of a novice to be honest, never managed to fool a mullet in the shallows at the bay, and have tried for years to snag a big bass, need more practice or some better advice!

Where've you fished Chard?

Anyone else own or do any boat fishing?

Some pictures to match:

few more pics, me and father

post-5878-1240938269.jpg

look at those clouds!

post-5878-1240938277.jpg

Cooking

post-5878-1240938287.jpg

The results, absolutely stunning!

post-5878-1240938308.jpg

hi my dad and i run a fishing boat and tow it to marks in north wales and also knot end which last year produced some excelent bass and plaice not yet had the boat out this year but will be going any time soon ps if its big bass yuor after try puffin island /canarfon bar /morcambe bay we have caught them to eleven pounds

Where've you fished Chard?

All my boat fishing was when I lived in Kent. From age 15 through to about 25, I always had a boat of some sort or another. We used to be barking mad, we used to go out miles off the North Kent coast, on the sandbanks offshore and around the old wartime forts in the estuary (Red Sands and the Pan Sands) We used to get loads of Bass up to about 12lb, Thornbacks, Smoothounds and then Cod in winter.

We also used to go night fishing miles offshore, with a tilley lamp in the boat for light :good::good::good::good: . We must have had a death wish. We did catch a lot of Cod and Bass at night though :welcomeani:

We also did a lot of beach fishing in Kent, and did very well in those days (how things have changed). Cod fishing was superb back then, my biggest Cod off the beach were 17.5lb and 20.5lb. Don't hear of fish like that now :good:

Since I moved to Manchester, I've only done beach and rock fishing, usually round Anglesey. Cod in the Menai Straits, Pollack, Mackerel and Wrasse off the rocks and ******* Dogfish everywhere :good:

Done a bit on Holyhead Breakwater and in the Dee Estuary at low tide (millions of Dabs and Whiting) :good:

Heven't been for a while actually, I must dust the rods off :good:

It's a funny area for fishing, the North West. This winter the Cod fishing in Kent has been nearly as good as it was back in the 1970's, but in the North West it's been non-existent. I can't work that out :yes:

Edited by Chard

theres the anual algie bloom in my neck of the woods at the moment so knocked the fishing a bit. should clear up in a week or 2, shame as the bass were just starting to come in.

Had that down in Pembrokeshire at the end of last May. Cleared up the second day we were there and then the mackerel came inshore in force. :hmm:

FM :D

thats a nice skate how long did it take to get that out of the dephs ?

Bout 30 minutes, Lynelle caught that one 150lb - I had a 180lb the day before :no: All tagged & released :good: Loch Torridon 300 odd feet with 50lb mono mainline. Boat is a 17' Outhill Flying Fox bowrider with a 75hp The seats lift off the pedestals behind the consuls to fit these beast's in :good: