Bale hides

rob

The rape field i am shooting at the present is 250 acre

i have tried setting in the ditch and had some good sport but i think i can do better in the field but i don't know how to make a good bale hide can anyone help  :(  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

rob

The first thing to consider is, will the farmer put some straw bales in the middle of the field.

Around here, the last fertilizer/nitrogen has gone on the rape and there will be no tractors on the field, until they swathe it.

If he does, then I usually have a four sided hide, three bales high, with two extra bales. One as a back drop and one spare.

You can also have a taller ,three sided hide,if you want to shoot standing up.

I don,t put any cammo netting on mine, but I know some people that do.

Have you thought of just putting your cammo net hide in the middle of the field ?

Its suprising how little it bothers the pigeons.

It would also give you the flexibility, to move round the 300 odd acres.

When the farmer gets to the bottom of the hay stack, the bales which have been on the ground are often a bit mouldy and don't get used to feed animals.  He will most likely let you take these.  Hay has the advantage over straw in that it is heavier and lasts longer without falling apart.  Once you get your hide built, it will stay put for a very long time.

The farmer where I shoot suggested that I build more than one hide, at the edges of the field, so I get the field well covered.  A hide in the middle would interfere with the crop too much.