business partner

PEREGRINE

rb5037 yes I am right on the South Coast, moved here because its very good hawking round this area although not many pigeons for decoying at the moment :lol:

Peregrine

Maybe in the next few months i could come down and watch you with the birds.

Never seen them in action, should think it's very interesting.

As you can see, i'm in Guildford so not too far away.

Adam.

Digger the Lugger is the little falcon at the front of the second picture. They are starting to come into the moult now.

Teal yes I do keep ferals off the rooftops of london hospitals but also keep gulls off rubbish tips as well, used to do a lot of american air basis in Wales a few years back.

I used to do falconry displays, falconry courses, insight days, hunting days, breeding, pro training, and hand make all the equipment for export all round the world. Not any more though just a bit of bird clearance and hunt for my own pleasure I am very glad to say.

Peregrine

Good to see there are other falconers on here who also enjoy a bit of pigeon shooting as well. Our hawking club meetings sometimes feel more like a pigeon shooting discussion group now that the flying season is over as many of us are able to shoot on the same land that we fly our hawks over. My farmers love me flying my falcon over their rape fields for the same reason that they love me shooting over them too!

I fly a female harris and a male gyr/saker and I have often wondered whether I could find some additional work using my birds for doing bird clearing. What would be a good way of going about finding such work?

rb5037 the flying season is over now until the winter but you can come and have a go then if you want I have Harris hawks that will fly for strangers so you can one of those I will take a Goss.

greeneddie there are 2 main types of bird control, working round buildings for feral pigeons, starlings etc. which you really need a smaller mail harris for, and working the tips and airstrips which your hybrid would be excellent for. Probably the best way of getting into the game would be to look through cage & aviary or some similap publication under the falconry section and see if there are any commercial companys looking for falconers to work the tips they have contracts on however BEWARE there are a lot of companys out there that will take advantage of keen young falconers.

Peregrine

you can come and have a go then if you want, I have Harris hawks that will fly for strangers, so you can one of those.

:lol::ernyha::ernyha:

Didn't mean i wanted to take control of one, don't really know anything about the handling, but if you say it's ok and it's not going to ruin your day, then yes, i'd love to.

Ruin your day as in....

Used to teach kids fishing durring the summer hol's along with sailing and other things.

Thought it was great at first, then on the first day after about 30 mins the little ******* started getting birds nests.

10-15 kids between two of us was hard going for 5 hours.

Glad we used barbless hooks ;) ;) :D

Peregrine, thanks for the advice.

When you do pest control clearing areas round buildings of feral pigeons does your harris actually hunt or is it just flown free in the area? I just wondered as the comment that a male would be more suitable suggests that actually hunting the pigeons is an important part of the equation?

greeneddie the techique for training and using the right bird for the job is too long and complex to go into here so I wiill just sum up. The idea is to actually hunt the pigeons as best you can, however it does not take long for the hawk to realise what it can and cant catch, as the only environmentally friendly way of removing pests you do not want to kill all of them, just move them onto someone elses roof. You have to remember that in a lot of sites you will be on the rooftop, this means you have to teach your hawk to look up for you instead of down as the chances are after an unsuccesful flight he will be below you. Needless to say his responses must be absolutely spot on, although Harris hawks are easy to train few falconers can bring them to such a peak as to have them trained well enough. The best way of achieving this is to train him with the care you would train a Goss. If anyone would be interested maybe when I get some time I will take some video footage of me at work with one of the birds and post it on here, I dont want to go too off topic however as this is not a falconry forum.

Peregrine

Edited by PEREGRINE

Lovely birds there Peregrine,i have watched other birds at show work and must admit its a thing of beauty ,nature at her finest ,there are a lot of hawks here to watch when im out and about ,and of all things a pair of your namesake working the area i live in right now ,if i get pics i'll post ,trouble is they dont hang around for too long :lol: .

Martin

Hi pigeon decoyer

Yes I have many pics of the hawks hunting and on kills, both over dogs and ferrets but I feel many members would be pxxsed off if I kept posting pics of falconry when this is a pigeon shooting forum.

However I am thinking of creating a website where I will upload lots of pics and video, when I do I will post the url on this site and if anyone is at all interested they can brows all the pics.

Peregrine

This is more of a country sports forum than just a shooting forum.

And the title of the thread is sporting pictures!

If you are not sure about posting do a poll or talk to admin about your probelm.

I am sure that we are not the only people interested in falconry on the forum.

All The Best

HG :)

P.S: you probably know all this already but being a newbie i thought it wouldnt do any harm to post it anyway. :D

I agree Peregrine,

I would love to see some of your sessions out with your falcons and broadwings.

Your birds look in tip top condition and it looks like they live in a very nice place which is good to see, rather than the back of someone’s yard looking very miserable.

A friend of mine has just put his Gos’s together so I’m looking forward to seeing if he gets a few young birds this time round, he lost his female late last year so he was total devastated, me two as it was the bird he took me flying with.

One day I will once again own a hunting bird, but for now I don’t have the time.

I’ll look forward to seeing some pictures though.

The PM