Zeroing

Watto

Now then people. I'm a a relative newcomer to this game. I've just got my new rifle out of the box. I need to get the mounts on, fit the scope and then zero it. Can you give me some advice please? Best way to zero the gun, etc.

Cheers in advance.

1. Select a good quality scope and mounting system. If necessary seek advice from a reliable airgunsmith to make an appropriate selection.

2. Look through the scope at a blank scene (eg. sky or wall but NEVER the sun*). Adjust the eyepiece focus so that the crosshairs (reticle) are sharply in focus.

3. Fix the mounts finger-tight on the rails. Fix the scope finger-tight into the mounts.

4. Mount the rifle to your shoulder and move the scope to and fro until a full picture is visible (eye relief).

5. Ensure the adjustment turrets are positioned at 12 o’clock (elevation) and 3 o’clock (windage) when seen from the eyepiece end of the scope. Ensure the crosshairs are vertical and horizontal.

6. Progressively tighten clamp bolts until the scope is gripped evenly and firmly but not crushed.

7. Tighten screws to dovetail rail firmly but don’t crush anything.

8. Check the screws holding the rifle’s action to the stock. Slack screws cause inaccuracy. Use appropriate tools to tighten screws so as to avoid marring them.

9. Set the rifle in a firm rest on a solid bench. This might be sandbags, beanbags or even a rifle clamp. The object is to remove as much human error and movement. Ensure that the rifle is supported by its stock and NOT its barrel. The help of a friend may be useful here; one person to hold the rifle steady and one to adjust the scope.

10. With your choice of undamaged pellets, set up a target at your preferred zero distance (at least 20 yards and preferably further). If using a zoom scope, set it to the maximum magnification that allows you to keep your target in sharp focus.

11. If you can bore sight your rifle (unlikely), it could save you a lot of time in getting your shots on the target. This involves looking down the bore and adjusting the rifle’s position so you can see your target ‘bull’ down the barrel. Without moving the rifle, adjust the elevation and windage turrets of the scope so the crosshairs intersect the bull.

12. If you can’t bore-sight, adjust the rifle as best you can to point at the target which should be as large as you can manage. Without moving the rifle, fire three shots at the target. Repeat this exercise until a neat group of three holes is seen on the target.

13. Without moving the rifle, adjust the elevation and windage screws of the scope so the crosshairs intersect the centre of the group.

14. Remember it is essential that the rifle be held very securely during these adjustments. Here’s where that friend may come in very useful.

15. Realign the rifle to another marked point on the target and fire three more shots at the new ‘bull’. Make minor adjustments to the elevation and windage turrets.

16. Repeat step 15 until satisfied. Your rifle is now zeroed at the chosen range and selected pellet type.

Note that a change of pellet may require re-zeroing. Also, with cheaper zoom scopes, an alteration in magnification may bring about a shift in zero.

Great info !!!.

I recall having to drill a hole in one of the scope mounts and put in a peg that fitted into the scope rail on the air rifle to stop the mounts slipping back when the gun had been fired a few times. It was a pretty powerful springer and a bit "clonky". Worth checking if your gun suddenly goes innaccurate for no apparent reason.

Have fun !!!

not really much to add with axe giving that great step by step guide :lol: but ....(LOL)

to work out hold over and under at shooting at variouse ranges, i find the best way is to zero your rifle (as above) then put targets out every five yards from 5 yards out to the mazimum your goingto be shooting 45yards (ish) easily done just pace it out if you havnt got a tape measure. that way you can work out your hold over and under points easily as well as being able to judge distances slightly better.

with regards to scope and mounts:

mounts you might be better of with either single piece double screw mounts or two peice double screw mounts with arrestor pin.

a single piece mount is exactly as it sounds one long bit of metal which clamps to the scope rail and has 8 screws on the top to clap the scope in place.

two piece mounts are generaly a little cheaper but might be suseptable to creeping around on a sring rifle which is why you would need the arrestor pin.

with regards to the scope, you need to have a think about what your going to be using the set up for? target shooting and range finding need the highest mag scope you can get pest control and plinking you may find a fixed power scope does the job (x4 or x6) are you goingnto be needing to range find using the scope? are you goingto be doing dusk/dawn shooting? if so you might find a illuminated reticle (IR) scope the best.

but a decent 3-9x40 (ags/hawke) should do the job nicley :ernyha:

my preference is for a fixed x4 scope (though i have bushnel trophy 3-9x40 mounted) as have used this scope on many ocasions easy to judge range if you cant see it its too far away.

but it all comes down to how much your willing to part with, the scope that gave me best results was a tasco 4x40 new price i think was £30! no coffee woble (or at least non you would notice) nice and light no adjustable objective (no range finding) and no zoom, very little to go wrong with and makes you focus on shooting instead of fidling with the scope. some of the cheaper scopes do chage zero when you alter the magnification.

buy the best scope you can afford and i dont think you can go far wrong.

try and find out where your nearest airgun club is and pop along for a visit you should find most members more than willing to help you out :ernyha:

hope this helps you out a little

ROB ;)

PS dont i waffle sometimes LOL

There are some really cheap scopes on Ebay which we discussed here a while back. I've contacted some of the buyers and have got generally good responses from them so I've taken the plunge and risked a few squid on getting one. If you aren't in a rush I can let you know if it turns out to be OK.

sounds like a nice set up :lol: i dont think you will be unhappy with it at all :ernyha:

just rember practise practise practise LOL i practice as much as i can and still a **** shot LOL

have to let us all know how you get on with it :ernyha:

all the best

ROB ;)

Will have a good warranty and no messing about then, plus you now get the honour of being able to scratch it yourself! Let us know how you get on with it, what are you planning on using it for mostly- targets, or a bit of vermin control or?