fox cartriges

matt101

im out on saturday to do a bit of lamping at a mates farm and i was wondering what u guys think the best fox cartriges are?

this is the first time ive actually been out looking for foxes.

cheers

matt

Matt

Are you asking for shotgun cart ? Or rifle calibre?

Jonno

he's comin to mine to try an sort out our fox problem. i recently got an acme fox call. any good? anyway we've both got 12b shottys :lol: and were wondering what the best ammo is for good old charlie :ernyha:

cheers in advance

josh

HI Matt. This I think for once I can give comment on. I haven't shot a fox in years but don't worry it not an ethical problem it just I move job and the area I was brough up in - big farming family/community.

I hunted foxes every week both out of cover and those gone to ground. I used a 12g (Semi 5 shot - this was in the good old days). When driving foxes from cover with a hound and terriers I use Winchester #2 or 0. When bolting out of holds I used Winchester #4 or 2. I found they had heavy loads, cave good patterns at distance and could go the distance. I also shot in rough cover so sometimes you had to be able to blast your way through it to drop the fox. Even when calling at night I used them. They were just standard 2 1/2 "

However, Matt that is a guideline to start with. The best advice I can give you is try a view brands and loads until you get something you feel confident with. Truthfully, even it not the best, what ever that is, I they gives you confidence when using them believe me that will make a big difference to you success. E.G. I know Eley is good ammo but it not for me. I just firmly believe that they don't give me kills in any quarry as well as Winchesters. I still have some of the one I used, they came in boxes of 10. Maybe can't get them now but the principle still applies. Try it, find it, keep it and grow in confidence as you bag it.

Just to add more variation. Solid slug out of a 410 is not to be messed with. I have one and althought I have never personally shot a fox with mine I no that many guy in NI who can't get rifles on use them to shot foxes and dogs (sheep protection).

My best shot at a fox was 80 yrs. Just a couples of pickle in the killing zone. Did it with my 2nd gun AYA #3 28" full choke.

Hope you have success :lol:

i just got back from the gunshop and the bloke gave me some 42g bb and he said that they were good cartriges (hull ultramax) the cartriges are 70 mm so they should be ok in my gun.the wierd thing is i measured them with a ruler and they werent 70 mm they were something like 65 mm

ive got two other cartriges and they say 70 mm but they are not the same lenght as the ones that i just got do you rekon that they will be ok?

matt

cheers dave that would explain it and the two big ones do have a bit of plastic in the end.they are called cheddite cartriges and apparently they are capable of killing foxes out to 90-100 yards (stated on the box) i wouldnt attempt that though but its reasuring lol

a mate of mine, the one who gave them to me has killed a fox at 80-90 yrds but hes a very good shot

im out tonight with josh to get those foxes so wish me luck

cheers

matt