Can I buy and export a firearm?

davhope

Hi there,

I am a NZ firearms licence holder and wondered if anyone knows if, during a upcoming visit to the UK I can purchase a firearm on this licence and export it with me on my return to NZ approx 1 month later, If I can, How many hoops do I have to jump through? and to which authority do I have to apply to.

Regards DH

Thanks for the quick reply Rick, It seems that I cant buy a firearm on a visitors Permit. Will look at other options.

Edited by davhope

davhope,

The UK doesn't recognize a NZ firearms permit, so you would need a visitor's permit to acquire the gun while you're here. A quick search for UK firearms visitor's permit on your favorite search engine should tell you the process for that. I am pretty sure you could buy a shotgun on a visitor's shotgun permit. Not sure sure about a visitor's firearms certificate. Both visitor's permits assume you have a friend here with a certificate that will vouch for you and hold your guns.

As for export, you might be able to purchase the gun at a dealer (but not take possession) and have the dealer ship it to a NZ dealer. That is going to require export/import permits for the two countries. Unless you're talking about a high dollar gun it probably isn't worth it.

Thanks,

Rick