Hilux tyres

dodeer

Mk6 Hilux double cab, currently running on Bridgestone 265/70/R16's but are being ripped to shreds on flints and are next to useless apart from on a tarmac road.

Can i use say 2x MT's on the rear and 2 x AT's on the front as long as they are the same size? Been told by local garage no but see it on a lot of 4x4 round here.

Still got 2 x Kumho MTs sitting about with loads tread left on em.

Otherwise been quoted £430 for 4 BFG AT's.

Edited by sam f

Not sure if this applies to you of even helps at all but....

My boss has just recieved a letter from toyota UK recalling his twin cab due to unstable handing (I think) with the standard 16" wheels, they are going to be replaced with 15" wheels and tyres free of charge. its a 2007 model I think.

might be worth a call before you do £430 on new tyres.

HTH

ben

Not sure if this applies to you of even helps at all but....

My boss has just recieved a letter from toyota UK recalling his twin cab due to unstable handing (I think) with the standard 16" wheels, they are going to be replaced with 15" wheels and tyres free of charge. its a 2007 model I think.

might be worth a call before you do £430 on new tyres.

HTH

ben

Beat me to it !!! But won't they look **** with 15"'s

yes you do get the 15 inch wheels,same spec as the HL3. but it does improve handling around corners, depends what you want really but i would certainly not whant to roll going round a corner or having to swerve to avoid a head on.

It was an advisory recall at your request. Not a recall from the manufactures, so i was told.

5 new tyres, not too fussed about the wheels, i didnt get it for the fancy wheels.

the wheels sounds a **** way of changing handling after all drop the size and profile of your existing tyres and you'll have the same diameter wheels anyway with more stability because of the lower profile. Of course if you drive it like a 4x4 rather than a car odds are you will be fine.

As for tyre choice a full set of the BFG AT's will be your best bet and on a new vehicle that gets used they're worth the money as they last for ages