1st Roe Buck

seisobs

Well, as it's your first, I'll let you off.

but you REALLY shouldn't shoot deer in the head.

It's not only because you ruin a nice thorphy - something that would of made a nice momento of your first roe buck :- but

The brain is a much smaller target on a deer than you might think, it's more than possibe to shoot the jaw, snout, face, ears, and miss all together, while giving the deer terrible, but not instalty fatal injuries.

You should wait for the much larger broadside shot to present itself.

and you left it in the mud..shock horror... :( :D..lol... :) :( well done hope its the first of many.....i suppose as far as a head shot goes its all about how close the animal is and how confident you are in yourself....necking it might be a better option if you dont want to damage the forend ..g/luck with your next one... ;)

Well, as it's your first, I'll let you off.

but you REALLY shouldn't shoot deer in the head.

It's not only because you ruin a nice thorphy - something that would of made a nice momento of your first roe buck :- but

The brain is a much smaller target on a deer than you might think, it's more than possibe to shoot the jaw, snout, face, ears, and miss all together, while giving the deer terrible, but not instalty fatal injuries.

You should wait for the much larger broadside shot to present itself.

Point taken Bleeh, but it was the only option I had, he was lying in a bramble bush chewing the cud with only his head showing, it was getting dark and as I had fired 4 shots at a 100 yard target and achieved a 1" grouping a few hours before I was confident I could place the shot correctly.

Jake.

Point taken Bleeh, but it was the only option I had, he was lying in a bramble bush chewing the cud with only his head showing, it was getting dark and as I had fired 4 shots at a 100 yard target and achieved a 1" grouping a few hours before I was confident I could place the shot correctly.

Jake.

Well done on your first buck, but a head shot at 160 yds isn't really on.

It's only on when the animal is lying wounded. You did have another option which was not to take the shot. With a Roe brain you only have an inch of error margin. Seriously, I wouldn't post this on any of the stalking forums.

Have a read of this for a similar situation and the 'debate' that ensued link

Excellent mate, well done!

As for 160yards, what's the problem? No idea what rifle you're using but the other day I witnessed my mate shooting less than 1" groups at 400 yards in 10mph wind with a 308.

Anyway, well done!

well done with your first deer, and it was undoubtably a cracking shot,.....but things can and do go wrong with head shots, and when they go wrong you have major problems as all four legs and the circulatory system are still in full working order.

I posted this brief account yeaterday on another forum:

completely ****** up a high neck/ back of head shot back in January. The doe was a youngster and knew something was going on, getting the direction of the danger wrong she ran towards me before stopping barely thirty yards away and looking back in the direction she had just come from. Knowing that she was not going to hand around for long I rushed and pulled the shot, she went down like a good 'un but was kicking violently. Next thing she is up on her feet and away, only to fall after another thirty yards. I thought she was down for good this time but no she was stood up again and was walking away. She then turned to walk broadside left to right across my front, it is hard to describe the sickening feeling I felt when I saw her lower jaw hanging off and bouncing against her throat. There was no chance of a second shot as now there was no safe background and I watched in horror as she disappeared into a thick conifer plantation. Fortunately, very fortunately for both me and the poor deer there was a good covering of snow on the ground. I was able to follow her trail for about 250m leading from the other side of the conifers and into a plantation of new hardwoods, I found her couched down under a bush and pretty much out of it and was able to despatch her with a second shot. There was very very little blood to be seen after the sites where she fell over initially. On inspecting her I had pulled the shot a couple of inches, just enough to run down the side of the neck and destroy the jaw bone on that side. A lesson learnt the hard way.

Simply.........you were wrong!! :) Show us what you know now and tell us if it was a side on shot, a face on shot or a back of the head shot.

And you can group inside an inch at a hundred yards. So, going out towards 200 yards, that is a 2 inch group. Add in a little adrenaline and you can make that group bigger again.

If it was that dark that you had to take such a poorly judged shot, then why can I see so well in your picture. Looks like it aint that dark.

Stick to clays!!!!!!!! or get someone to show you the ropes.

Edited by jingzy

Simply.........you were wrong!! :good: Show us what you know now and tell us if it was a side on shot, a face on shot or a back of the head shot.

And you can group inside an inch at a hundred yards. So, going out towards 200 yards, that is a 2 inch group. Add in a little adrenaline and you can make that group bigger again.

If it was that dark that you had to take such a poorly judged shot, then why can I see so well in your picture. Looks like it aint that dark.

Stick to clays!!!!!!!! or get someone to show you the ropes.

Gentlemen. Thank you for all the comments / advice, I do take it in I assure you all.

It was a side on shot. there was zero adrenaline !

I did have someone with me - A very experienced chap!

But! at the end of the day it WAS a cracking shot I have no remorse whatsoever as the deer was dispatched humanely!

Jake

Well done on your first animal but learn from what the guys have said and leave the head shots out. #Remember the old phrase pride before a fall, you seam like a deacent guy and you will be gutted when you eventualy screw a shot like that up and an animal runs off to die 2 weeks later of septicemia. nd head shooting side on it is only a mater of time.

ATB

Dave

:good: well done on the shot mate and ur first roe well done ...... just to point out i have shot a couple of close deer in the head never spoiled the meat or did it run off too die 2 weeks later and i have shot them broad side spoiled the meat a couple of times and have shot them clean in the heart and the little ****** ran fof 200 yards before dropping dead

there was zero adrenaline !

I would stop stalking if I ever run off that feeling.. :good:

As for the buck, often if you you make some noise, e.g. crack a tree branch or shout, they usually go up and see what's going on and give you some time to take a shot.

and have shot them clean in the heart and the little ****** ran fof 200 yards before dropping dead

I think the point the guys are making is that, though they can often run on quite a bit even with a perfect heart shot, they are still going to expire pretty quickly. A poorly placed heart/lung shot or even a gut shot will usually be fatal in a relatively short period of time compared to the lingering death a smashed jaw or ripped food pipe will cause so you have that margin for error to account for things you simply can't predict... strong gusts, deer moving, dodgy round, knocked scope, blade of grass etc etc

That said, to the original poster: well done on your first roe buck :lol:

But zero adrenalin? Really?? :good:

You never have to take a shot when stalking. You are not stopping a charging Cape buffalo. Stalking (and shooting in general) is about doing the right thing come what may. The right thing in my book does not involve novices taking 160-yard head shots at beasts lying in bushes, seemingly with little regard for safety and ethics. I would bet money that the people who have commented that it was a good shot have never stalked deer on a regular basis, if at all. And if you didn't feel any adrenaline, it reinforces the comments above that it was hardly a sporting challenge.

I'm sure you'll treasure the memory, Seisobs, but I hope you show some restraint in future, bearing in mind that this is a public forum viewed on a daily basis by all manner of antis.

Seisobs like everything in life people have different views if you felt and knew you were capable of the shot then fair enough, I have gone for neck shots before but never a head, what does show in some of the replies to this thread is how hypocritical some of the "pro's" can be? get your self booked on a red doe cull and see if you are asked to take a head shot ( the carcase being spoken for)

I have seen so called experienced stalkers aim for the head from stupid distances, one such shot and its ON VIDEO! the "pro" is clearly heard to say more than once "go for the head" then the "head shot" down hill at over 300 yards plus!! is taken, which results in a hit of the back leg of the doe,and it took most of the day using dogs to find and dispatch it.all nicely caught on video for the paying customer.

well done on your first buck, take on board that which has been fed back to you but its you who knows your capabilities and you who makes the decision to "fire"

cheers KW