1st Roe Buck

seisobs

Right, but that's a public forum, it's not behind anyones back. Our OP can go on there and reply easily enough.

In fact, when you read the thread over there you have some very experienced stalkers arguing for head shots being ok, on here's it's non/inexperienced stalkers arguing for it. They're also having a go at each other more than they are at seisob.

The treatment the OP got on SD has been more supportive and balanced than on here, and the argument for head shots has been better made.

seisbos well done on your first roe buck and don't take too much notice of the knockers on here. Most are armchair shooters anyway! You were there and gauged the shot and it worked which is all you can do at the time. Sure the head/neck shot is the most difficult but if you've the confidence take it. I shoot one hell of a lot of deer and most are neck shot (as I want the carcase clean) but on the odd occassion I'm not happy with the shot I'll take the heart to be sure.

seisbos well done on your first roe buck and don't take too much notice of the knockers on here. Most are armchair shooters anyway! You were there and gauged the shot and it worked which is all you can do at the time. Sure the head/neck shot is the most difficult but if you've the confidence take it. I shoot one hell of a lot of deer and most are neck shot (as I want the carcase clean) but on the odd occassion I'm not happy with the shot I'll take the heart to be sure.

Thanks for your comments Highlander.

P.S. I am taking the DSC level 1 course this year.

You never have to take a shot when stalking. You are not stopping a charging Cape buffalo. Stalking (and shooting in general) is about doing the right thing come what may. The right thing in my book does not involve novices taking 160-yard head shots at beasts lying in bushes, seemingly with little regard for safety and ethics. I would bet money that the people who have commented that it was a good shot have never stalked deer on a regular basis, if at all. And if you didn't feel any adrenaline, it reinforces the comments above that it was hardly a sporting challenge.

I'm sure you'll treasure the memory, Seisobs, but I hope you show some restraint in future, bearing in mind that this is a public forum viewed on a daily basis by all manner of antis.

Points noted but I strongly disagree with your 'Little regard for safety' comment.

After 24 years in the services I know all about weapon and personnel safety - Also there was a good backstop, the round was not chambered until I was ready to take the shot.

• 1 year later...

Well done on your first ROE. :good:

Don't let the Negative replies get you down, Take from them what you need to, there is some good advice

Hope you get many more :good:

Just out of interest what did you shoot it with(I have not read all of the post so forgive me if you have allready said)

Kipper :good:

I'm sure you've shot a fair few Deer by now, and I can imagine at the time of the first post there was a lot of excitement over what would have been a very well placed shot. For that I would like to say well done.

Hopefully you'll have learned a bit more about Deer stalking by now though and will choose your shots more carefully? I know it's very easy to hit the mark at that sort of range with a real confidence, but there is too much chance for an animal to move. Please, no more head shots. They're just far too risky when the animal is a long way off and even when in close are far from ideal.

I don't want to have a dig because when this was posted the shooter was new to the sport. His mentor should have pulled him up on this shot.

Edited by njc110381