Jammiing auto

Buzzer

Myself and partner Iain swear by using autos.

I have just returned last week from a trip to Argentina.  Serious numbers of shots per session.

Our autos worked faultlessly over there taking up to 1,000 shots per session.

A couple of rules to stick to with autos.

1. Never apply any oil to any of the gas parts.

2. Only oil parts that are in the action and slides.

(you will find that if you oil any gas parts the gun will function correctly for a short while, then start to jam.  Carbon deposits stick to the oil straight away, and this slows everything down rapidly)

3. Use a very good quality oil, we use tetra gun oil which is excellent. Apply sparingly to the moving parts only.  Everything else should be dry.  WD40 is brilliant on over & unders and side by sides, but it is far too thin for autos.  It actually makes the action operate far too fast, which in turn tends to stop the gun picking up a new cartridge.  Too much oil tends to do the same thing.

4. Strip the magazine tube and clean regularly, often ignored, but very important for clean feeds.

5. Use good quality 2 3/4 32gram cartridges.  

Provided you stick to these simple rules there really is no need to clean the gun (besides the barrel) every time.  The most I have shot without a clean is 3,000.  We use Berettas.  One is a very old, well used 303.  And the other is a fairly new 391.  I much preferr the 303, I don't think it has ever really been improved.  

Good luck...

GARY...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, thanks for the advice, i hope that it will work, after giving it a good clean and oil this after noon im of to get it out the cabinet strip it and de oil it :)  

All the best

Buzzer

Just a thought on the legal side of things for those of you using semi autos, don't forget that it is an offence to use one to shoot anything other than pest species. It is ilegal to shoot game and wildfowl with a semi.

I think you had better post the actual Act and Section on this.

One of our wildfowling members has just bought a Browning 3 shot semi-auto 10 bore for wildfowling.

If you let me have the relevant details, I will pass them on to him.

I was once told that It was Ilegal to shoot most things with an auto, but every time I have found the relavent text it has always had an exception such as "except when the magazine is non removable and restricted to 2 rounds" type of thing.

The only outright ban is on section 5 animals; and you not alowed to shoot those anyway.

Nghost, you are right  :P  , Having had a dig around here it seems that under the act;

" "automatic weapon" and "semi-automatic weapon" do not include any weapon the magazine of which is incapable of holding more than two rounds"

Apologies  :)  :)  Just goes to show that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing  :)

My mate Garry bought a Browning Gols semi auto, it jammed up several times every trip.  We took it back to the shop, who exchanged it for another, no messing!

The second gun jammed just as bad, phone calls to Browning could not shine any light on the problem.

Suspecting cartridges I rang Eley, spoke to a very knowledgable man.  It seems that semi autos are designed to shoot 70mm cases; some will shoot 67mm 2.2/4", some wont.  Some will shoot 2.1/2" cases, most wont!

I conducted test with my mates gun before a trip to Scotland.  I fired 15 different types of cartridge and logged the results.  Neither the manufacturer or load was important, but the case lenght was.  70mm ok every time, any thing else problems!  The man at Eley was right.

My mate borrowed my other gun for Scotland, was well impressed with my Beretta 303, which we agreed would load golf balls if we asked it.  I have now traded the 303 for a Beretta Lioness, it also shoots anything Ive put in it, except finger ends!

As far as auto go, Browning should stick to making fishing rods or dog food!

Somebody said that Benelli was a part of the Beretta company.

The Beretta 9mm. pistol is about the most reliable handgun ever from what I have read about it's testing.

I was told once that Colonel Gadaffi owns Beretta!!

What are peoples preferences, recoil or gas-operated actions?

:)  :)  :) Hi rjimmer having tried my new benneli 90 on a shoot I noticed no recoil what so ever. But when I first shot it to try it out I did feel the recoil. I put it down to keeping an eye on the target.thus not noticing the recoil.

Looking forward to the sprin sowings

:)  :laugh:  :)  :P