Which 4x4

andy33

Just because i'm bored i'd like to ask a question !!

I'm thinking of buying a cheap 4x4 for general use like taking the dogs out carrying me shooting gear and probably travelling to work and back. I've been looking at Landrovers 300 tdi they dont seem a bad buy for the money but i'm no mechanic so rely on peoples honesty :oops::yes: , so is there any experts out there as bored as me who could give me a few hints on what to look for or to avoid !!.

Cheers in advance Andy.

As bobt said they were fitted in all landrover of that time, up until the TD5 came out.

Rot can be a problem on disco's lost can of the ones i repaired for friends, 90, 110, 130 can still get in the chasise as most of the top are alloy.

Engine are to to bad every make of vechicle has its own faults. they recon 200 land rover was **** but mine let go 350,000 miles so not bad.

The good thing about land rover is that with something like a hayes manual most people can work on them, and don't degree in eletronics to work on them.

regually get 30 to gallon out of are one.

Parts if you get a landrover mag, can be quite cheap but look a round frist.

And can more than other 4x4 on the road 3500kgs.

So if in the market for one, there not bad. Sooner have that than the l200 i've got how.

for the money u wanna spend id forget a landrover and buy a jimny

cheap to run and get a newer one for the money

plus are great off road :yes:

yeah,you can fit your straighteners,crimpers,rollers,hair spray and anything else mobile hair dressers carry around

• 1 month later...

you wont get a defender 90 200tdi 0r 300tdi for 1500 as they hold there money very well i paid that for my 90 td and with the disco look at the boot floor, door catches on wheel arches (5dr/3dr), inner archs as it holds the mud very well which rots, chassis to and dont worry to much about a small leak from engine as all landrovers have at least one oil leak as long as it small and not flooding out hope this helps not put you off :good:

Take a look at Nissan Terrano's/Ford Mavericks.

I bought my R Reg Terrano SWB over a year ago now with only 48K on the clock for £1350, just gone straight through it's MOT again.

I've had 3 Disco's in the past, a 300Tdi, a Series II 4.0 V8 and a late Series II TD5, all cost a lot of money to run, all leaked and all were unreliable.

The Nissan's very good offroad, in fact going by the book it's got more ground clearance than a Disco and not bad onroad either but mainly I've had no problems with it, I only use it for Shooting or fishing so sits around most of the time but still starts first time every time.

Highly recommended, as with all old motors though take your time when choosing to make sure you get a good one. Sills are prone to go on the Terrano's but mine are still perfect.

Even though it is a SWB with the rear seats down there's a surprising amount of room in the back for all my shooting gear.

Hewey

Edited by Hewey

Would have to be Disco or Mitsubishi shotgun.

Jeep have nasty habbit of lossing there back axles. Mavrricks shame to call it 4x4. Nissain patrol Ok.

Best bet would an old Tyota land curisser.

Ground clearance where are you guys/girls measuring it from. As to many measure body clearance as ground clearance. You measure the diff bowl on the axles as this would be lowest apart on any 4x4 regardlees of make.

As for Terrano being better than a disco off road I would disagree with you there. As we could stop buy the police while out a while go same gate i went thougth without any problems they got completey stuck in. So had to go the long way round and pull them out.

Dave Dog,

If you actually read my post I never said that the Terrano was better off road than a Discovery, in fact I deliberately didn't say that.

But now you raised the point..... lol

I had General Grabber AT2's on my 53 Plate Discovery which did have the Diff lock option and to be honest on a slippery surface my old Nissan feels much more stable and doesn't slip around as much, ok It's got MT's on the back but only basic AT's on the front.

Basically Tyres and Driver make so much difference off road, comparing one car to another unless driven by the same person on the same tyres is a waste of time, I can only comment on my experiences.

Considering my last Disco cost me over 17K when I bought it and my Terrano only £1350 then value for money off road the Nissan blows it away. OK I'd rather do a 500 mile journey in the Disco but the Terrano really is great value for money (if you get a good one).

The fact of the matter is that this thread was started by Andy asking which 4x4 to get for £1500, I doubt you would get a very good reliable Disco for only £1500, whereas he could get a Terrano or Maverick which could prove reliable transport and require very little work.

Yep I do miss my Disco's especicially my 4.0 V8 one but I don't miss the unreliability, (never left me stranded but always something going wrong with all of them) neither do I miss the wet footwells where they always leak.

My Nissan just seems to go wherever I point it and for a shooting/fishing work horse does a great job.

Hewey

Edited by Hewey

another vote for the disco, I was in exactly the same position and got one.

Mine's a 1998 and cost me a grand taxed and tested but needed a head gasket

So, Head gasket was about £8 plus a manifold gasket £7 and a rocker cover gasket £2.50

A total of £17.50 and it's spot on, the job was easy peasy and when I tax it at the end of the month I'd guess it'll be worth £1400-1800 (having looked around). I've tried it on the green lanes and it's pretty good but only has road tyres on at the moment so I'm pretty happy with it.

To be fair though, it's the same as buying any used car - some are good that should be, most aren't as good as they should and some are very bad.

Disco parts are cheap, the insurance on mine's the same as my 2.5 v6 vectra so a little on the steep side and from what I can make out a good one'll serve you well.

Other 4x4s in the price range are generally the same, I wouldn't have a mitsubishi as I've seen how expensive they can be, parts and fuel especially (sorry lurchers1, only my opinion). I'd of had a trooper if one came up for the right money and I'd've had a diesel cherokee but they're not very common and seem a bit over priced because of it.

just my 2p, best to trust your own judgment to be honest.

Edited by fieldwanderer

Wow cant believe this thread is still going, i finished up buying a terrano 2 2.7 td for 1100 quid, dave i agree i would have liked a disco but just couldnt get what i wanted with in a reasonable distance from my home, and the nissan has so far been brill. Bloody economical too. !!

Hi Andy,

Damm fine purchase if you don't mind me saying, lol...

If you want a good Web site then the Nissan 4x4 Owners Club can be found on :

http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/

It does charge a £10 membership fee, not loads of people on there but the guy's there really do know their stuff.

Good Luck with the Terrano.

Hewey

Edited by Hewey

I had a Suzzie SJ410 for years, small engine but went anywhere. Used to put all the heavier 4x4's to shame. Cheap to run and a mechanics car - that is, you could fix it without having a garage full of diagnostic kit.

Disco is a comfy ride, lousy fuel consumption, lousy acceleration and a rot box. Cost me a fortune to run and get fixed.