Pellets

adymorris

What's the best hunting pellet at the moment then, I had several boxes of crossman premiers that are more or less gone now, haven't really shot my Rapid 7 for a good 6 years on a regular basis and need to lob all my odds and **** and get some more lead in

Premiers were giving me shot on shot accuracy

I have use Crossman Powapell and Accupell (somthing like that) but they were no where near as good as premiers

I heard a while ago that premiers were either not made anymore or had gone down hill

Edited by adymorris

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers chaps - I remember something about Accupells being premiers that were not graded - my premier boxes had Die 1 & Die 2 stamps on the back - I think webley Mosquitos were also accupells/premiers under another name - all good then, not a lot has changed - I'll be off to get some in the week

the best pellets are whatever shoot the most accurately from your gun,

pellet placement is the most important thing when shooting quarry.

It's worth getting a Pellpax sampler and seeing what works best for you...

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Pellpax_SAmple_Packs.html

Domed pellets are going to be the best bet for woodies and rabbits as they are the most stable in flight (thus accurate).

Closer shooting (rats etc.), then you may want to try hollowpoint or flat headed pellets

.......... and again.

Domed pellets are going to be the best bet for woodies and rabbits as they are the most stable in flight (thus accurate).

Closer shooting (rats etc.), then you may want to try hollowpoint or flat headed pellets

.......... and again.

Dude, Dude give it a rest with the best placement this, quarry that lectures I really do know what I am doing when I shoot my quarry - I wasn't asking advice on HOW to shoot or WHERE to place my shot or what is the most stable pellet

I was asking what is the current favoured pellet in a rapid (maybe didn't make myself clear on that) - I was around when the majority of gun dealers were saying use premiers in a rapid and you will get perfect accuracy blah, blah, blah - which I did and got the desired results - I was asking if this has changed not which pellet to use for which quarry, I did all my learning for that in the early 80's

Dude, Dude give it a rest with the best placement this, quarry that lectures I really do know what I am doing when I shoot my quarry - I wasn't asking advice on HOW to shoot or WHERE to place my shot or what is the most stable pellet

I was asking what is the current favoured pellet in a rapid (maybe didn't make myself clear on that) - I was around when the majority of gun dealers were saying use premiers in a rapid and you will get perfect accuracy blah, blah, blah - which I did and got the desired results - I was asking if this has changed not which pellet to use for which quarry, I did all my learning for that in the early 80's

If you had good results with that pellet why change?

What is it with the fashionable pellet buisness, the "favoured one"?

You can have two identical rifles and it might be a case that they favour two different pellets, just stick with what works for you and your rifle!

Aware that Logun Penetrators / Exterminators @ 16.00 Grains work well in most Sub 12FP Rapids

Defiant 18's in FAC Rated or even the Exterminator 20.50's

All UK Made so prices have not risen in a while - unlike imported Pellets

BOB/R

If you had good results with that pellet why change?

What is it with the fashionable pellet buisness, the "favoured one"?

You can have two identical rifles and it might be a case that they favour two different pellets, just stick with what works for you and your rifle!

Because I read a little while ago(can't remember where) that crossman premiers had gone down hill and before I shell out £17 odd on a box I was checking what the score with them was - jesus - if you can't communicate with people without trying to give them a lesson or lecture don't bother posting in this thread

Edited by adymorris

Because I read a little while ago(can't remember where) that crossman premiers had gone down hill and before I shell out £17 odd on a box I was checking what the score with them was - jesus - if you can't communicate with people without trying to give them a lesson or lecture don't bother posting in this thread

Which brings me back to my (clear?) initial post, buy a pellpax.

You can check the quality of the premiers and see if there is anything better.

I am not trying to give a lecture I am only trying to help. If you don't want to take this advice then fine, do what you want.

Aware that Logun Penetrators / Exterminators @ 16.00 Grains work well in most Sub 12FP Rapids

Defiant 18's in FAC Rated or even the Exterminator 20.50's

All UK Made so prices have not risen in a while - unlike imported Pellets

BOB/R

Hi all I use the 18gr in my FAC Rapid running 35flb and I can`t fault them and the squirrels don`t like them, and crosman prem`s 10.5 gr in the other FAC at 21flb dirty pellets need a wash but very good in my gun`s but might not work in yours beg and borrow sample`s till you find one that work`s.

Which brings me back to my (clear?) initial post, buy a pellpax.

You can check the quality of the premiers and see if there is anything better.

I am not trying to give a lecture I am only trying to help. If you don't want to take this advice then fine, do what you want.

lecture - of course you did,

did you forget the bit about pellet placement, whatever shoots best from your gun etc etc, in fact here is the post - I even got a lecture on pellet stability

.......... and again.

I'm not saying your reply is not clear I may well get a sample pack, I was reacting to the tone of your reply and your assumption that as well as needing to know about my accuracy I also need to know what shape pellets to use on which quarry.

A little more than just a link to a variety pack of pellets don't you think

did you forget the bit about pellet placement, whatever shoots best from your gun etc etc, in fact here is the post - I even got a lecture on pellet stability

I'm not saying your reply is not clear I may well get a sample pack, I was reacting to the tone of your reply and your assumption that as well as needing to know about my accuracy I also need to know what shape pellets to use on which quarry.

idiot!!!!

My initial reply was a quote from another post (granted, not as clear as it could have been).

It was sound advice and dealt with all your questions, all I did was paste it into this thread because it really is very tiring having to answer the same questions on a weekly basis where people do not use the search functions on this site.

Have a little look around and see what I mean.,

Oh, and if you have all the answers why ask the questions? Or are you waiting for someone to agree with your thoughts rather than listen to the best advice?

Just curious.

1. My initial reply was a quote from another post (granted, not as clear as it could have been).

2. It was sound advice and dealt with all your questions

3. All I did was paste it into this thread because it really is very tiring having to answer the same questions on a weekly basis where people do not use the search functions on this site.

4. Have a little look around and see what I mean.,

5. Oh, and if you have all the answers why ask the questions?

6. Or are you waiting for someone to agree with your thoughts rather than listen to the best advice?

Just curious.

1. So not YOUR advice then and not clear by your own admission

2. I only asked one question

3. Tiring yet you managed to find all that energy to reply several times in this thread - you don't have to get involved in all the threads you know, you could have just ignored it

4. I have, I did, I do

5. What part of it was one question don't you understand ( Now I'm thinking of using the copy & paste function)

6. Agree with what thoughts ? I asked ONE question, mentioned some hearsay and made a couple of statements but I can't remember relaying any thoughts - which post(s) was it where I made these thoughts ?

I never said I had all the answers now did I - Thats you being a drama queen and blowing it up out of proportion I asked one question, get a grip man for heavens sake

I love this, I really do. Infact I reckon I can go on poking you up for another two pages!

All I was doing was offering you advice. Advice that I took after messing about myself and making mistakes.

I finally listened one day and took the advice that was offered. Suddenly the scales fell from my eyes and I was able to improve my shooting. All it took was for me to wind my neck in and take the advice offered.

Two choices listen or don't listen, simple isn't it?

Over to you..................

2. I only asked one question

What's the best hunting pellet at the moment then, I had several boxes of crossman premiers that are more or less gone now, haven't really shot my Rapid 7

..... and Snakebite gave the right answer.

What's right for someone else's rifle isn't necessarily going to be right for yours.

Now, of course, without reading all your posts he would not necessarily have realised how experienced a shooter you must evidently be, (judging by your reaction to his post).

However, an experienced shooter would surely have known that the advice was good, wouldn't he, and not over-reacted?

Taking this from another angle, a fairer one perhaps, can I ask a few questions to "adymorris"?

Since the thread started have you acted on any of the advice given, not just mine?

What have YOU done to improve your situation?

What are the results you have achieved?

1...... and Snakebite gave the right answer.

2. What's right for someone else's rifle isn't necessarily going to be right for yours.

3. Now, of course, without reading all your posts he would not necessarily have realised how experienced a shooter you must evidently be, (judging by your reaction to his post).

4. However, an experienced shooter would surely have known that the advice was good, wouldn't he, and not over-reacted?

1. he did indeed and I'm not arguing that now am I

2. Yeh, Yeh Yeh we've done that bit to death

3. Quite alright old chap we all make mistakes

4. Quite correct great spot on advice if I asked about quarry/pellet dynamics and the like - but why when I simply asked about a pellet did I get the shot placement, quarry this accuracy that speech

So you are saying that I am not an experienced shooter just on the basis of me telling him to lay off the lecture - and I might add by his own admission that was posted as he was "tired" of typing the same reply again & again so it was posted with a little sarcasm embedded in it as well as advice on the pelletpax

Nice edit btw way on my quote about "haven't really shot my Rapid 7 on a regular basis

(the bold bit is the bit you forgot to include - just so it's in context - I'd hate for people to read it and think I don't shoot it at all now)

By all means tell me i'm a **** but at least have the correct information to back it up - either that or don't bother commenting

1. Taking this from another angle, a fairer one perhaps, can I ask a few questions to "adymorris"?

2. Since the thread started have you acted on any of the advice given, not just mine?

3. What have YOU done to improve your situation?

4. What are the results you have achieved?

1. You can indeed ask me as many questions as you like and unlike you I will answer them all ( I doubt though you had any fairness in mind but hey - here goes)

2. Ok then advice given by you was to get a pelletpax - I'd already said i may well get one so yes I have acted on that advice, took it on board and will probably order one when I get a chance - other people have mentioned other types of pellet and if they are in the pack that'll be a bonus then.

3. What have I done to improve the situation - I am still using Premiers so can't really improve on 100% accuracy can I - or am I misunderstanding the question

4. I'm in the unfortunate position of not owning a 50m indoor range and due to it raining over the last 7 or so days have not yet ventured out to fire pellets at a target to compare results

Any more question ?

Edited by Axe
SWEARING