Rotory Divise

:( Please forgive me for asking the million dollar question,

when I'm sure it has been asked-and answerd meny times befor.....but here goes...:-

As you may have seen from my post in "Tips and Tricks"....

After watching the pigeons for a couple of months now I have noticed that they never fly along proper flight lines....by which I mean....no two birds fly from the same place too to same place.

They never fly to a tree or over a set area more than a couple of times during the cause of a day..

1. So would a rotory divise of some flavour bring those birds, which fly by unaware of my decoys, within range?

2. Do you own one?

3. Are they as good as they are made out to be?

4. What sort of range do they pull birds in from?

5. Do you use decoys aswell?

and finally

6. Which model do you recommend, there are so meny with normal arms, flapping arms and landing arms, with so meny diffrent prices.

P.S sorry for the essey length posting - but I don't want to buy something which will fall apart within 2 weeks....

:=)  :=)

Hi Dead eye. I spoke to a fellow shootist on the land I go on. He has a rotary thingy, and I asked if it was any good. He was impressed with its pulling power, he has got the flapping variety but did not think this was a real advantage, as he knows someone with a home made on that goes so fast they have to tie the birds on, and it also works well. I was with him in the hide for about an hour and he did have a good number of shots and at birds coming from all angles. I think it is the movement that attracts the birds rather than the actual flapping. His was a home made shop bought, and he has had a few problems with reliability, so maybe the few extra pounds will be worth the investment ( You get what you pay for) Hope this helps :(  :thumbs:

Dead-eye, I think you need to keep watching those pigeons because they do follow regular flight lines. This is the reason we are able to shoot them, ie, by decoying close to a flightline we can attract them away from their route and within range of our guns. If there is no flightline then you will not bag many, if any!  :( Maybe you are looking for flightlines on land across which there are no flightlines running (at the moment).

With all due respect Malc, I have been watching the field in

question for quite a while now......

Although birds fly in from all around the field, they all seem to

pass within a 70 yard radias of a group of large trees.(this seems to be the case in most of my fields)

and very rarely do I see an actual "line of flight"

But as you will see my question was 'will a magnet bring these

birds in to me'? :what:  :what:  :(

Dead eye, check to see if the arms on the rotor are made of sprung steel. Kev bought one which does the job & was about £100. There was 2 things which caused a few problems, firstly the foot on it wasn't quite wide or deep enough, which made the rotor wobble about in soft soil, secondly, when it fell over, the arms weren't made of sprung steel, so they bent when it hit the floor still turning & he had to keep straightening them out.

Just a couple of things to look out for............... :(