pigeon hides

arty

Hi Arty, nice to see you.

I haven,t seen a portable fixed hide for years.

I can remember one that was four sides ,about 4ft-6ins tall and each side was about 4ft wide.

It was a very fine mesh cammo net fixed on poles and you rolled it up.

I suppose they would be easy enough to make, if you really wanted one.

The best method is the camouflage net and 4 or 5 poles,then you can build a hide almost any size and shape you want.

Its also easy to carry.

Army style cammo suits most of our UK foliage for most of the year, the lighter cammos are better in Winter.

Ring Mike Newall at N & S Shooting Supplies 01925 728057.

I have his green/brown hide net 15ft by 5ft cost £12.50 + carriage.

His adjustable hide poles are £9 each.

Or check out your local gunshops.

Hi Arty, and welcome,

The best hide is indeed four poles and some camo net, though some people are tempted by those 'pop-up' tent type hides, but there is one VERY serious drawback with these that the shops don't mention, namely, how on earth do you swing onto a bird through a little window cut in a tent?

Answer: you can't, so don't buy one unless its for air rifle shooting!

The magnet people do a  freestanding hide but it looks flimsy and ****(only my opinion of course), and is a stupid price....stick with nets and poles!  :(

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined the forum and have been reading past posts with interest. I have looked at the web site many times but unfortunately never checked out the forum until now ...

For my first post, I have some info on nets that may be of interest. I have used a standard army issue net for the past ten years. It doubles in weight when it rains, when wet it stinks like a rotten fish and is generally getting a bit tatty. As Everygoodnamewastaken pointed out, the trend for rotors, batteries, peckers, flappers, etc, means that it's almost at the point of needing a trolley to transport the kit to the hide!  I should point out that I have just sold my Vale rotor in favour of a Pinewood Advantage II which is less bulky and considerably lighter so the weight issue has improved a bit

In an effort to reduce the load, I decided to go for a lighter net. I prefer a mesh with scrim rather than the punched camo sheets that seem to prevail the gunshops these days. I had no luck finding what I was after until I went to the CLA. Deben had a net on display that was just the ticket. It is a new product called CamoReal Moorland and it looks the biz!. They do another colour, woodland I think it was called but it's too green for my liking. It's a strong nylon net with a tied on nylon scrim that resembles realtree X-tra  brown. It's still a bit bulky compared to some nets but it doesn't rot or absorb water so stays light! It still benefits from a bit of local vegetation to break it up but it works very well. :(

ps - I do not work for Deben or have any association with the marketing of the above mentioned product!   :thumbs:

Looking forward to posting on a regular basis

Tony