help needed

fieldwanderer

Right, this isn't going to be very simple but worth a go:

I'm thinking about getting a truck (well, a 4x4) but I'm having a little trouble working out what I want.

I don't tend to drive around my permission but the track up to the farm can't be doing my car much good! I'm also into target shooting, fishing and camping etc so the same applies to those too (all accessed via mud-tracks). I can honestly say I've only ever got stuck in mud once but obviously a vehicle that can cope better than a normal car would be an advantage.

I got thinking about a freelander because they're somewhere between a car and a hard-core offroader but they're still fairly big and, given the size, I might as well get a full blown 4x4 - but prefferably keep size down as much as possible.

so, for a start, can anyone think of a good 4x4 the size (or smaller) of a freelander with proper hi-lo, diff locks etc?

I can't afford a defender, don't like vitara's or sportraks what else can you think of? Not sure about the shogun / pajero as I hear they're expensive to run, even for a 4x4.

Starting to lean towards the disco as they're cheap and pretty capable but (IMO) they're ugly! lol, a bit stuck really!

Got about £1200 - 1300 to spend

Members of my offroad club use all makes and sizes. I would look at a Disco 200tdi if you want something larger than a Freelander, but another very competent offroad vehicle is the little Suzuki's cheap to run as they have a tiny engine but very very capable off road. Should be able to pick one up in you budget.

ok, thanks so-far.

As said, I'm not sure I'm all that keen on the disco apart from it's o/r capabilities. If possible I'd like something smaller as I've no real need for a big vehicle but needs to be able to withstand the bumpy roads or there's no point in me having one. I'll take a closer look at the suzuki's but to be honest I normally try to avoid makes along those lines i.e. kia, dihatsu, suzuki, etc.

Looking like the disco really, just need to convince myself they're not all that bad looking after all :( What sort of economy are you guys that own them getting, miles to £10?

I too am looking at suitable 4x4s but need to tow a caravan aswell, my pernission is quite sizeable but not too hilly and is definatley drive n shoot so needs to be able to cope. Was looking at Freelander but was warned off by my company service garage and was told to look at the Japanese market.

I'd love a Discovery but my budget wont meet that, probabley have around £3000 - £4000 at a push, bearing in mind this will be the family / wifes main car aswell

Any other models to ponder over ?

i got a freelander petrol (mrs car) and it does the job dont get no serious off roading but its ok for plodding down the road and on rough tracks etc , not the best round town for mpg but on the motor way at 70 40 gets me to livepool and back what is about 280 mile so not too bad and can pick a 53 plate up now with low milage for 2500

if you need economy measuring in miles to £10 then a 4x4 probably isn't for you :oops:

Honestly mate, I bet even a trooper beats my vectra (2.5v6) which gets about 24mpg (315 to 60ltrs), if I floor it I can get the trip computer saying 7.2mpg :sick: I'll still be very sad to see it go though, which makes it even more important that I'm happy with whatever comes next.

I too am looking at suitable 4x4s but need to tow a caravan aswell, my pernission is quite sizeable but not too hilly and is definatley drive n shoot so needs to be able to cope. Was looking at Freelander but was warned off by my company service garage and was told to look at the Japanese market.

I'd love a Discovery but my budget wont meet that, probabley have around £3000 - £4000 at a push, bearing in mind this will be the family / wifes main car aswell

Any other models to ponder over ?

x trail.....economical and if you look about you will get one in your budget.....i have just part x'd mine got £3000 for it...03 plate with 100,000 miles on.....but i know you can get them with less miles for your budget....

shaun

another vote for the freelander.

i have one, a commercial version diesel. its great as all my kit and dogs fit in the back.

i have a set of bf goodrich mud terrains on it. utterly fantastic. o.k u have to avoid ruts but other than that they are very good.

they are great on the road as well.

look after it and it will look after you.

I get 28 mpg out of my defender with a disco 200tdi lump in it.

oh, thought it'd be 30 ish to be honest. so with diesel being slightly more expensive it'd work out about the same price per mile as my vectra does :oops: Was hoping for an improvement to be honest but as long as it's not more expensive fuel-wise.

How would you guys rate the isuzu trooper (10-12yr old)? Starting to think if one came up at the right price etc I'd probably have it! Waiting on some funds to clear at the moment though :sick:

I've got a Vauxhall Monterey, which is a rebadged Isuzu Trooper - Years old and does around 25 to the gallon, BUT, it's a lovely motor - Seven seats, nice ride and pretty good off road. Parts are becoming a bit of a problem for me though if it's an Isuzu part that Vauxhall replaced.

Have driven a Shogun and didn't rate it at all - On a budget, it would seem that the only way to go is D.I.S.C.O. (or should this be in the One Hit Wonder section?)

Also, per Psyxologos response, imports are great to buy, very reliable and usually cheap, but that's only because the spares have to be imported and can be crippling.

Edited by Fatcatsplat

Also, per Psyxologos response, imports are great to buy, very reliable and usually cheap, but that's only because the spares have to be imported and can be crippling.

Generaly this is true, but the Pajero is the British version of Shogun so I think they are identical!

My Shogun Pinin has got selectable 4WD and hi/low ratio difflock. It's got me out of some very gloopy places since I put some mud tyres on it, and it's significantly lighter than the more manly Shogun/Pajero. It's only available in petrol though and 25 mpg would be the best you'll get if you stick with moderate all terrain tyres. Expext 21 mpg with full blown muddies on it, and it needs the expensive variety of petrol too.

The 5 door one is about the same length as a freelander and is a slightly softer ride than the lighter 3 door SWB one. A rifle fore stock sits nicely between the door mirror and window frame to point at anything lit up with your drivers side headlight. Also works for the passenger side if you use an ambi stock and shoot like a lefty. :lol:

Look at this (Huh not allowed to link to it) and note the super-select central panel of the dashboard, see how it has a square located betwwen the wheels. Check that any you buy has this - or look for the extra gear lever because there are some constant 4WD ones about without low ratio or difflock.

EDIT:

Sorry - I have tried to show two differing views of the instrument panel but this forum dont want to be helpfull in this area so try Googling "super select" until you can find a picture of an instrument panel in a shogun Pinin which has the super select

Edited by Dave-G

You should be able to pick up a good Nissan Terrano/Ford Maverick for under £1300.

I bought an old R' Reg last year for £1350 with a years MOT and only 48K miles, not had any trouble with it at all. Unlike my 53 Plate Discovery which I sold just before the bottom dropped out of the market.

I've got a Vauxhall Monterey, which is a rebadged Isuzu Trooper - Years old and does around 25 to the gallon, BUT, it's a lovely motor - Seven seats, nice ride and pretty good off road. Parts are becoming a bit of a problem for me though if it's an Isuzu part that Vauxhall replaced.

Are there many different parts then? and won't the isuzu part fit instead?

Are there many different parts then? and won't the isuzu part fit instead?

Some yes and some no - We just had to pay a mechanic to some round and disable the Vauxhall fitted immobiliser as they don't make the parts for them any more. I think (and i could be speaking from my derriere) that the actual mechanical parts are all Isuzu. There's one in the other sales section that i am very, very tempted on - Only trouble is it's in Taunton