Benelli M2 Tweaks

alexm

This will be old news to the Benelli M2 PSG pros but I thought I'd document what I've just done for Benelli n00bs like me! :P

Following on from this thread I ordered a modified carrier from C-Rums last week and it arrived today. Top service!

Couldn't wait to fit it so the Benelli was stripped this evening!

It didn't occur to me to take the photos until I had already fitted the carrier, so you will notice it is already fitted :oops: but here is what I did anyway!...

First remove the action by pushing the pin out:

BenelliCarrier1.jpg

Jeff Cockrums mod is to basically weld up the gap on a genuine factory part, smooth it off and re-finish

BenelliCarrier3.jpg

Remove the circlip (careful it doesn't go zinging off!) Put a screwdriver or similar through the pin to stop everything falling apart and slide out the pin. The hammer spring will tend to want to push the hammer outwards. If you take the tension with your thumb you can slide out the screwdriver, remove the spring/washer at the side, and then remove the carrier. Replace the screwdriver to hold everything else in place again.

Note: this may well be easier with the hammer uncocked... I didn't think of this until afterwards! :sick:

BenelliCarrier2.jpg

BenelliCarrier4.jpg

BenelliCarrier5.jpg

Remove the pin on the black lever on the side of the carrier and transfer the lever onto the new carrier. The new carrier can then be carefully slid back into place (by removing the screwdriver and holding the hammer spring tension back with your thumb again)

The tricky bit is getting all the bits of metal to line up again whilst pushing the pin back in again. It's a bit fiddly, especially because the hammer needs to be pushed back against its spring quite hard. Hopefully you should get the pin back in again, then replace the circlip on the end.

New carrier fitted

BenelliCarrier6.jpg

And Neil was absolutely right.... a tad too long!!

BenelliCarrier7.jpg

I will sort this out with the dremel in due course! Need to also curve the end down a bit as per Neil's suggestion.

I also took the opportunity to sort out the latch that holds the cartridges in the tube as I found it extremely stiff to push the cartridges past. The latch can be removed by tapping out the pin using a punch and hammer. Make sure you protect all round your receiver to avoid unwanted dents/scratches!

BenelliMagazineLatch1.jpg

Once out the latch can be GENTLY and very SLIGHTLY bent outwards along where the dotted line is. I stress again... slightly! I did the slightest tweak and it was too far... the cartridges would barely stay in the tube and would pop out at the slightest touch on the latch! I tweaked it back inwards a touch until it was just right. Test load a full tube of cartridges, push the lot in and let them pop back out against the latch to make sure they are secure!

BenelliMagazineLatch2.jpg

The cartridges are a lot easier to load now!

Obviously standard disclaimers apply.... no responsibility taken for trashing a thousand pound gun, blowing yourself up etc etc :P

Hope the info will be of use... if any of you seasoned pro's notice I have missed something, or have suggested something daft let me know and I will amend! :D

Hi Alex

A good write up & Im glad my comments helped, almost every one of Jeffs carriers I have seen have been a tad to long, still better that than too short I say.

With regard to the shell stop, I grind the latch in the very centre only, leaving the top & bottom of the latch untouched, that way you dont have to bend a hardened steel part, the centre of the latch is where the cartridge rim touches & it works good.

Hope to see you at a PSG match before to long, dont be to shy to introduce yourself. :lol:

Regards

N

All dremelled to size and re-smoothed! :no: Why on earth Benelli made the original carrier the way they did I will never know. :blink:

It's a joy to load now, you can really go for it and stuff the cartridges in with confidence without fearing that lovely medieval torture crushing sensation on the thumbnail! <_<

So that's all the gun related excuses fixed.... just the shooter needs sorting now! :yes:

• 10 months later...