First Tick Found

Country_est

I have found nail varnish remover to work very well both on dogs as well as ferrets, dont under estimate the problem of infection if you dont get them out cleanly, I have a scar on my calf the size of a 10p from a tick years ago and it was very sore for months. :rolleyes: D2D

If i were you I`d get the Dr. to check you for Lymes disease ASAP.

I did go to my GP at the time as it became infected, the scar is what was left after it was treated and healed, hence dont underestimate a tick bite :rolleyes: D2D

A friend of mine who had a tick on her when in Italy used olive oil. Covered it in the stuff, left it for two hours and it came out head and everything. Might be worth a try :blink:

Is that the "suffocation" approach ? if so, I assume anything forming a seal over it should work, like vaseline ?

Si

A friend of mine who had a tick on her when in Italy used olive oil. Covered it in the stuff, left it for two hours and it came out head and everything. Might be worth a try :blink:

Is that the "suffocation" approach ? if so, I assume anything forming a seal over it should work, like vaseline ?

Si

Yes vaseline works, just smother the tick - did it on one of my dogs @ 8 years ago (been lucky since then :blink:)

• 1 year later...

O-Tom tools are good ,we Frontline the doq monthly which seems to keep him clear.Ferrets are the problem I,ve used a couple of spot-on type products which have killed the ticks but the silly beggars lick at the stuff on each others shoulders then are sneezing & gagging,so its the O-Tom for the most part but any sort of alcohol dabbed on the the tick seems to do the trick especially if mixed with a natural oil of some sort.Teatree oil on its own seems to work and is used in headlice shampoos/conditioners for kids,maybe next ferreting season I'll try a light coating of Teatree on the ferrets coats,as long as they don't lick it off each other.

Billy

Please be aware that you should not attempt to remove ticks by applying Vaseline, alcohol, nail varnish, matches or any other method of covering the tick and thereby causing suffocation. These methods will cause the tick to regurgitate it's stomach contents into your blood stream and should the tick be infected with Lyme's then so will you.

The only current recommended method is to use tweezers or a tick removal tool.

The ferrets have been picking them up while working since December.

Horrible scabby little bloodsucking pointless creepy crawly mini parasite carrying vampires. :good:

I use an O'Tom tick remover bought from the vets.

EDIT: Also treated them with Frontline spray after the last heavy outbreak.

FM :good:

Edited by Ferret Master