Cocking a 10/22

stuey

My 10/22 custom from rimfire magic doesn't appear to be as accurate as a bolt action. For the purpose of zeroing, can the action be locked so that it has to be manually reloaded by cocking ther action after every shot?? If so, would this improve the accuracy?

cheers

Stu

semi's generally arent as accurate as a bolt, but how inaccurate are we talking here?

a while back i remember guys on an american site dedicated to rimfires saying they had made/modified a new bolt release that basically turned the 10/22 into a bolt action; they only made a few of them at the time if i remember right, i tried to get one but ive heard nothing since, must be over 6 months at least

If you have a std Ruger barrel then I shouldnt get too hung up on putting tight groups together.

I have a 3MOA speeddot on mine and I'm happy if I can keep all the shots inside that 3MOA dot (1.5" at 50m).

If its a match barrel then I would be trying diferent ammo until you find one that suits your barrel.

I have finally settled on RWS for mine as it seems to group tidyiest of them all.

What ammo are you using out of curiousity?

Have you tried LOTS of different sorts?

Are you using a muzzlebrake/moderator and is it square?

Have you cleaned the barrel properly and started from there?

Oh and just another thought..... you need to zero it how you intend to shoot it.

Zeroing with a locked bolt is no good if you intend to shoot it as a S/A. The cart brass only holds in teh chamber as long as the brass has expanded, as soon as the pressure falls it loosens off the chamber wall and pushes the bolt back. This will give entirely different pressures and hence POI than if the bolt is locked.

Improving accuracy can be dramatically improved by changing the barrel for a match barrel.

Because the 10/22 is a self loader, the chamber needs to be slightly slack to enable the extractor to 'whip' out the spent cases. This means that rounds are sometimes chambered slightly differently to others, thus affecting accuracy.

The only problem with a tighter chamber of a match grade barrel is that you may find a slight increase in the rounds not ejecting properly.

Been there, done it. Ask Mungler.

Think I was expecting too much from the Ruger. It is a Custom 10/22 from Rimfiremagic with Hogue stock, 14 1/2 inch SS barrel, and a few trigger/buffer/action bits.

Think it groups at about 1 1/2 - 2 in at 60dys - is this acceptable?

Ammo wise, I use Winchester subs and they cycle the action beautifully, though with the odd flyer.

Have also tried CCI which weren't as good, Eley, but i didn't like the coating on the bullets - might it clog the action? RWS and Magtec wouldn't cycle the action.

Went out on Sunday morning and managed 7 rabbit for 10 shots so feel a b it more confident in the 10/22.

Still don't like the riccochets. Wonder if the segmented hollow point 22 ammo will eventually be available in the UK?

cheers

Stu

Like burpster said i tend to get groupings over just over 1" at 50 yards with mine so sounds likeyours aint to out the norm.

I did recrown the barrel on mine which helped slightly.

I to use the winchester subs after using lots of different rounds.Mine didnt like the rws or recycling them either altho when i done all my test it was prob 5 yrs ago so prob ammo has changed a bit since then.Eley would sometimes go fully auto!! :hmm: and the cci where very inconsistent going well beyond subsonic speeds and sounding at times.