Camoflage coats

neil

I've been thinking for a while know about buying myself a nice coat for shooting,at the moment i use a cheap waxed jacket for wet weather and one of those army surplus cotton jackets in the not so wet weather.They are both fine for what they are (cheap :( ) but i find the waxed jacket heavy and when it rains the coller material gets wet which doesnt feel very nice and the pockets get all damp,whereas the army surplus jackets sole mission in life seems to be to eat the stock of my silver pigeon with its zips and buttons.What i am looking for is one of those modern camo patterned jackets,Whats the best pattern for general use?It needs to be waterproof so Gortex perhaps?Whats the best make of jacket in your view?I've seen some recently that are advertised as 5 in 1 ie removable fleece etc etc anyone got one?what are they like

Don't have one of those jackets your on about but went to the gun shop yesterday and tried a deerhunter Montana jacket on (the 5-1) It looked like the dogs B. Recon if you have 1 of them you could miss all day and nobody would notice as they would be too busy looking at your legs and head. Woundering were the hell your torso was. :(  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

all the best

I just stick to the wax, yes it is sometimes not comfertable but it does the job. However when stalking i use a cotton jacket in camo, army suplus, because it is quiet but as cold as hell! (if thats possible, hell being fiery and all) so i put ALOT of cloaths on underneeth as five in the morning on some cold winter day is cold. i also bought a waist coat, see other post, which does me good.

Neil, the Deerhunter Montana looks very good and seems to be a bit cheaper than most of the others.Personally I use a Sportchief saddlecloth coat in realtree x-tra brown, its easily the best coat you can buy for pigeons/wildfowling, though a little warm.I do think that the advantage timber is a better pattern though.

I have the "standard Army" green/brown waterproof jacket and over-trousers set, purchased from my local Army Surplus Store.

Very functional,the only small problem is, that the jacket has no pockets.

In the warmer weather I wear a jacket/trouser Advantage cammo mesh suit.

This folds up very small and I always have it in my decoy bag.

Sometimes, if it rains, I will put this on, over my Musto coat and light plastic leggings.

I find this outfit more comfortable, if I have a lot of walking to do.

I use one of the realtree jackets, I think it cost me around £60, I waterproofed it with one of the Ronseal brickwork sealants(which is still working quite well).If it's cold I wear thermal longjohns & vest(a real treat for the missus).........I've also ordered the standard army issue gortex leggings & trousers, which will hopefully be with me soon. I've seen the Deeerhunter 5 in 1 coats,& they look & feel great.Just a little expensive for me at the moment, maybe one day!..  :(

shoot,n hegdes like u guys do i would go realtree  if u shooting drie grassers or corn wetlands works well have wetlands and it works  in most situations army woodlands is a good all rounder but remmber that when buying new camo to dunk it in a bucket of cold tea it takes the shean of it and  helps it blend in with out rubing it in mud ,read washing insuctions first cortex is good stuff