Dirty ammo?

Sergeant

I have used both remington hollow point and standard Eley .22 rimfire rounds in my CZ452 and have round the remingtons to be extremely diryt, to the point of leaving a horrible black sooty mark on the end of the cases. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Sergeant,

I tried several different brands of .22 sub-sonic hollowpoint when I fitted a match grade barrel to my 10/22.

Here's what I found:

1. Dynamit nobel-Dirty and covered in excessive lube.

2. Remington- dirty and the gun didn't like cycling them.

3. CCI copper plated-Powerful round but again would not cycle in a match chambered barell.

4. Eley-Dirty and excessively lubed.

5. Winchester- accurate, cleaner and cycle like a dream.

The obvious lesson here is to buy a little of each to try and when you find the ammo that suits your rifle, go out and buy lots! The batching of ammunition can also have a small effect on performance, that is why I buy 1000 rounds of Winchester at a time and always re-zero to a particular batch.

Safe and happy shooting.

Rob.

I have used both remington hollow point and standard Eley .22 rimfire rounds in my CZ452 and have round the remingtons to be extremely diryt, to the point of leaving a horrible black sooty mark on the end of the cases. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

is this causing a problem in your gun ?? ,you dont say other than its dirty on the case ,most makes will leave some residual burn marks and soot .

If the gun functions well and accuracy is not impeeded then live with it and clean as normal ,or failing that find a more suitable round .

apbuild, i also run a match barrel on my 10-22 with the CCI , never had a feed problem with them as yet , i've always found the lower velocity round has fouled the odd one or two ,after the barrel warms up around 20-30 rnds in .

3. CCI copper plated-Powerful round but again would not cycle in a match chambered barell.

mainly use the higher powered cci and stingers for goffers zeroed @ 75yds .

Martin

AP what is the problem in cycling the round ?? (cci )

is it excess lube , or is there to tight a throat in the chamber , curious is me .

the only round i HAD a problem with was a three pc partition varmint rnd, it had a little more interferance in the chamber , a little polish with the dremel and rouge ,hey pressto or not press as it was ,no more feed probs.

i must admit i dont use the remington ,why ? im not impressed with the packing and shipping ,i have found many damaged rnds per brick ,their quality just dosent do it for me .

what barrel d oyou run AP ??

Martin

Martin,

I bought and fitted a stainless steel, threaded for moderator barell from a company here in the uk called 'South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies'.

It is called a 'Rimfire Magic' barell and is made by Volquartsen.

www.rimfiremagic.co.uk

Look under the heading barells.

The CCI's were constantly leaving the empty shell in the chamber even after a change of extractor claw and a really good clean out.

I don't want to ream out the chamber because that will defeat the object of the barell. A match chamber should be tighter than the factory barell, so that each round is chambered in the same position to increase accuracy. This it did dramatically compared to the factory barell I had before.

I am well pleased with the new barell and the Winchesters work great for me.

Hope you are well and speak soon.

Rob.

ive found the eley to be over lubed, but never found it a problem, they leave a horid feeling on ure fingers, but i can live with that for the way they shoot

But dont thoses ELEYS smell great!!!! :lol::lol:

thats so true, its the first memory of shooting i have, as it was the first thing i ever fired

Hi Rob, nice barrel , Volquartsen make a number of quality parts for the .22" rf

mine also has a couple , trigger set (ouch $$$$ ) not worth it in the end ,a little work and the stock one is fine , pin and block ,my barrel is a Butler Creek ,heavey match grade ,drop forged , machined for a custom muzzle break ,shoots very well

my buddy runs the Volquartsen sleeved composite st/steel liner ,its about as heavey as a humming birds **** ,i cant keep it still .

sounds like the casings are swelling a little too much for your gun ,i guess you've found a round (winchesters) that functions well so good luck in that .

and thanks ,i am,hope all's well your end Rob , back at you soon

Martin

Martin,

As promised, couple of piccy's of todays best groups.

1st one is nine rounds of Winchester .22 at 25 yards.

The magazine holds ten rounds but I always put the first round into the sandbank. This is because the releasing of the bolt by hand chambers the first round slightly differently to the rest.

Rob.

EDIT: The white dot is one inch in diameter.

nice grouping rob,think i'll have to get my .22" of the shelf now ,the weather is getting better so liying in 3 feet of snow :lol: wont be a problem now .

goffer season is on us,need to sharpen the skills ,i'll post some targets groups from my 10-22 range and rounds ,need to pattern a few shottys too, so kill a few birds with the one weekends work so to speak

:lol:

Martin

Martin,

The magazine holds ten rounds but I always put the first round into the sandbank. This is because the releasing of the bolt by hand chambers the first round slightly differently to the rest.

Rob.

You seem to have got the only accurate 10-22 ever AP. I tried one, found the cycling too noisey, and was put off by poor reports about accuracy. I went for a second had (like new) Delux BRNO.

Martin,

Rob.

You seem to have got the only accurate 10-22 ever AP. I tried one, found the cycling too noisey, and was put off by poor reports about accuracy. I went for a second had (like new) Delux BRNO.

oh dear i feel the 10/22 argument starting up again :lol:

Martin,

Have you carried out any mod's on your 10/22.

Here's a list of the improvements I have stuck on mine.

1. Volquartsen match chambered barrel to replace factory barrel.

2. Hogue overmoulded stock.

3. Power Custom bolt buffer.

4. Volquartsen target trigger assembly.

5. Volquartsen hammer and sear set. Also honed the sear myself to get trigger pull to featherlight, (although it still passes the butt test).

6. Volquartsen exact edge extractor claw.

7. Volquartsen auto bolt release.

8. Extended magazine release.

9. Volquartsen titanium bolt handle and spring.

I have also drilled the bolt to make it lighter, hence better cycling of sub-sonic ammo. I have rounded the back of the bolt down so that it now 'Lay's' the hammer into place rather than just hitting it back.

I think the only original piece left on the rifle is the receiver. :lol::lol:

I don't know if you can get it in Canada, but a great book to own is called 'The Ultimate Ruger 10/22, Manual and users Guide'. It is full of great modifications and drop in alterations that you can do yourself with the minimum of tools.

I'm sure others will say I should have bought a different rifle in the first place, but the fun and enjoyment in working on and then shooting an accurate rifle is great!

Would love to see your rifle and groupings.

Speak soon,

Rob.

:lol:

Last pic of my 10-22 ,now sports a custom muzzle break , standard block and pin ,gives a little longer locktime on hot loads less imediate jump custom block buffer/stopper less impact on full block recoil (10-22 known for receiver damage again with hot loads ) butler barrel old style hammer forged and twisted , 12 power tasco varmint scope ,and as you can see laminated stock ,unfourtunatly no moderators here :lol: ITS AGAINST THE LAW :lol: ,I will post the other 10-22 with the houge and Volquartsen barrel/trigger set later .

Red Stagg ,good to see you back in action buddy ,as to the ruger ,its one (if not the one )of the most modified .22" systems tried and tested out there as Rob states you can custom this outfit to tailor most needs ,you must have had a bad one ,one in every barrel i guess .

Martin

post-18-1113858405.jpg