Pigeon decoy starter set

markadams

Hi,

I am looking to buy some decoy equipment, I want to buy all the basic equipment, Hide poles, netting, decoys, rotor ? And anything else you can suggest.

I need this fairly fast and was wonder what the best place is to buy it all.

I have been pigeon shooting for a while but I have always used other peoples equipment before and I thought that it is time to buy my own.

Mark.

Hi markadams.If you want superb quality decoys i suggest you have a look on this site-www.############## i have some of their decoys myself and they are very good.As far as rotary devices are concerned their are that many on the market at different prices.I would suggest you consider the following before making a decision.

1)Build quality

2)The running time of the machine,some machines will run all day on a 7ah battery.

3)The weight of the machine as this will be appreciated when walking long distances.

I purchased a set of hide poles from sandwell field sports they are 3 piece and are called apple hide poles, they are nice and light but a cheaper alternative is to use washing line poles(see photos of shooting related stuff) and finally what ever type of hide pole you choose get ones that have a thumbscrew to lock the poles to the desired height as some members of this site have had problems with other types.

Regards sean. :(

Hi markadams.The hide poles in the deben catalogue(green ones with kick plate on bottom)are the ones i have (apple hide poles)but you will get them much cheaper from sandwell field sports.As for the netting decoying .co.uk sell both the moorland and woodland as seen in the deben catalogue but cheaper.I have the 15'x6' moorland net and it is superb,a good all round net.Sandwell field sports tel-0121 520 2000.

Sean. :(

The S&N hide poles are ver good and only £38 for 4 in a bag. I like the newer army surplus netting (the old stuf waterlogs and can stink if it starts to mold) made of synthetics £20 from my local chap in Oxford.

Rotors are good but they cant make pigeons if there are none about, get one after you have all the basics.

Flexicoys work well and are indistructable, but they can shine in sunlight, flock ones are nearly as good as dead pigeons, until the flocking comes off.

I was trying to get a set of hide pole for the weekend but, ############## don't have them in stock, Sandwell are out of stock (first time in 5 years), N & S need me to send a cheque so no chance of getting them by the weekend.

And I am not paying Deben £70 even if they could get them to me in time.

Mark.   :(  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

johnny, if they are the same ones and you use them a lot, the problem will occur.

It starts with having to tighten them ,every trip.

Then it progresses to the pole "collapsing" during a shooting day and you forgetting to take a screwdriver.

It ends with no adjustment available and you going to the nearest motor factors shop and buying some rubber grommits, to slide up and down the pole, to stop it sliding down.

I know, I am on the last stage now.

When I get fed up buying rubber grommits (they don,t last forever), I will buy some more proper N&S ones.

I have several "hides" that started off as dens for the local kids. This was about 30 years ago. The plants are kept at bay by whoever uses the hides consatantly snipping. One is just right for a sitty tree. so I walk up put down stall and wait for the birds to have a sit down. Its a great place to have a rest drink coffee and shoot the odd bird.