Which cartridge

Whats the best in your opinion and whats the worst you have used, for pigeons.

I myself use Gamebore clear pigeon, till I got some white gold from the gamebore rep to try, for a 28g load they are the hardest hitting I have found, was dropping birds at extreme ranges.

I was also given some blue diamond ( gordon system ), these had to be the weakest cartridge I have ever fired, I was hitting the birds square on, puff of feathers and they flew away.

This is just my opinion, no doubt someone will swear by blue diamond and hate white gold.

look forard to reading your opinions.

cheers

For me the best cartridge would have to be Winchester Westons but they are hard to come by down here! :crazy:  second choice is Express special pigeon 6 shot, they hit hard!! Worst cartridge would probably have to be Hull pro fiber 28g,                  

Buzzer

The best cartridge I've used on pigeon are Winchester Westons, Can't get hold of any up here either.  Following westerns has got to be Express Super game 32gram, I used 36 gram super game out of my auto and they were devastating.

I shot Express pigeon specials before the supergame. I've found the majority of Express cartridges superb on pigeon, their loads seem to be that bit faster than most.

Worst cartridge has got to be Gamebore clear pigeon and for clay shooting Gamebore Rat power Blue Diamonds.

Like you, Yorkshire Pudding, I swear by the Clear Pigeon, 6 shot - 30 gram - fibre wad. They give a good pattern through my Browning Citori, 28 inch choked 1/4 & 3/4. They kill clean up to 40 yards (above that I don't take the shot), and have the clout to stop crows dead. They are not, however, the cheapest cartridges around. I'm paying about £110 per thousand.

I felt ther were a bit on the weak side.  I used Clear Pigeon on a couple of trips and fired a fair few, but I just didn't have any confidence in them.  

I find the express loads faster which is what I prefer.  I shoot a lot of clays with Express which is why I tend to stick with them on pigeons.  When I've used gamebore on clays it was noticeable that I had to give more lead.

Its each to their own on cartridges, but I feel it makes sense to stick with one type and get used to them.

I certainly hope Winchester start importing Westerns again.  Westerns on pigeons are for me the best load.

Idon't so much agree with all your veiws on cartridges i find the hull sterling 28g in the 20b does a great job on all types of quarry there no need to change your carts for whatever your shooting at the end of the day it's the person behind the gun not's what in it.............!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all - I'm new to this board but hope someone may be able to help on this.

Up until recently I had been using Pigeon Express # 6 with no problem. However I was unable to get any more so settled on Hi Game 28g # 6.

Lot's of misses so decided to pattern it at 35 paces and found that the pattern was in the shape of a C - 8 inch clear hole in the centre tapering out to one side, Has anyone else had this problem with these or any other cartridges.

Thanks,

Roger

Guest flightline
Whats the best in your opinion and whats the worst you have used, for pigeons.

I myself use Gamebore clear pigeon, till I got some white gold from the gamebore rep to try, for a 28g load they are the hardest hitting I have found, was dropping birds at extreme ranges.

I was also given some blue diamond ( gordon system ), these had to be the weakest cartridge I have ever fired, I was hitting the birds square on, puff of feathers and they flew away.

This is just my opinion, no doubt someone will swear by blue diamond and hate white gold.

look forard to reading your opinions.

cheers

Reynard,

How much are White Gold and where do you get `em please? I use Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30g in plastic or fibre depending on where I`m shooting. If this is better then I`ll try it. :crazy:

I wouldnt of expected that coment from anyone else on her but you YP, your getting predictable.

qualify please ?

all the best    yis  yp

Reynard i see you have removed your post where you told us that u sold Clear Pigeon carts for £102 i think it was and i think u also said u were making £12 the thousand. My question was just an extension of your post that u have now deleated.Ask pieman what he paid for his new silver pigeon. My post have obviously upset you and i appologise for that.

all the best  yis   yp

Reynard i see you have removed your post where you told us that u sold Clear Pigeon carts for £102 i think it was and i think u also said u were making £12 the thousand. My question was just an extension of your post that u have now deleated.Ask pieman what he paid for his new silver pigeon. My post have obviously upset you and i appologise for that.

all the best  yis   yp

I never deleted any post from here, obviously the powers to be were thinking I was advertizing, which I hasten to add, I was not.

The prices you thought I had said were both wrong YP, but as someone was obviously upset with my post and didnt have the manners to email me regarding anything I did or said that was not in order with the site rules.

You have no need to apolagise to me Yp, I thought you were taking the proverbial, whith the price you quoted for the silver pigeon, I was obviously wrong and therefore apolagise to you.

cheers

I have patterned the following carts, all with the same gun, true cylinder.

Best pattern was from Grand Prix 6 x 30g and HB Pigeon 6 x 32g.  Gave an even distribution.

Impax 28g and Clear Pigeon seemed to give a more uneven shot distribution, with large gaps.

Express Pigeon Special 6 x 30g was somewhere between the two.

:crazy: Iam curious to how different makes of cartridge can throw a different pattern. I understand how choke size affects the concentration of the pattern but not the type of cartridge. To the uneducated in ballistics such as myself, there is just a mass of pellets being blasted at random out of a tube. Can you throw some light on the subject please? :*)

I don,t profess to know the answer, but I read many years ago that the varying density of the lead shot(hard/soft), had a major influence in effective patterns.

Apparently, soft shot kills better than hard shot.

But, hard shot patterns more consistently at range.

Just something else to get confused about. :X  :X

I've got to say the ballistics thing is over my head, so I do what every other less than adequate does. Draw a lifesize pigeon on a sheet of wallpaper, stand back 30 (or 35 or 40) yards, and let him have it. Doing this, I have yet to find a more even distribution pattern through my Citori than the good old Gamebore Clear Pigeon. Surely a lot depends on barrel length as well as choke.

NGhost - thanks for the site. I'll give them a try and see if I can save a pound or two.

I have read somewhere in the past that the less lead in your cartridge the better the pattern.  This I pressume is caused by less pellets being damaged when they are forced through the choke, consequently better condition pellets will fly straighter.

I tried some 24 gram loads on sunday on some very long crossing midi clays.  I was suprised to say the least how consistently I was hitting them.