Challanging

davhope

Here is a one for the experts, I have a 12 month old lab bitch who has just started to constantly challange my commands when out, I am returning from walking etc, feeling angry and frustrated, I know that this is down to my inexperience as a handler, I was wondering how I can overcome this as simply as possible,

The dog is fine in a enclosed enviroment {garden} but as soon as we go anywhere different she just goes mental for about 3 or 4 mins and then comes back as if nothing happend,

HELP...........

David

might be worth letting her think it is a game but change the rules a little as she is circling crouch down and put you r hand out with a small or treat or atleast hold your hand like it might have a treat in it. It would probably be worth poping down the library and getting a book out. there is no shame in reading instructions from pro dog handlers!!

Dave

OK, The Trainer told me that the Dog is challenging its position in the pack, She is trying to become more dominant and as soon as she turns and runs away she thinks that SHE is in control, Unless you can catch her straight away,the best way to react to this is dont react, Just turn around and walk away for as long as it takes for the dog to think it is being left on its own and it will gallop towards you eventually,when the penny drops. You have therefore made the dog back down by returning to you and can now reassert control.

He also said if the dog stays in the house you must not let them run out the door before you or let them think that they can just do as they please. Stop them before you go outside and then call them when you are ready.

All these things seem really trivial but I saw him demonstrate how easy it was to instantly change a dogs behaviour by showing it you are in control, He didnt even touch the dog it was all done with voice commands and short sharp tugs on the lead.

Very impressive to watch,

Hope this helps

David.