Using 22LR in garden??

gixer1

As ranges safety certificates are no longer required a range is any piece of land designated as such.

If your FAC states for target shooting and you only shoot targets you are complying with the law, if your FAC states target and vermin then you can do both.

The police may not be happy, but being happy and law compliance are two different things.

I have a commercial 22 bullet trap in my garden and it sits in font of a 7 foot high concrete garage, so has a decent backstop, also observes the 50 foot from public highway rules.

I invited my neighbors to see what I do and they are  ok with it, I do not shoot when they are using their gardens, I only shoot school days between 10am and 4pm subsonic ammo only or CCI quiet22

The main issue would be planning regulations, however you could still shoot 26 times a year without the need for planning 

14 minutes ago, Michael Richardson said:

As ranges safety certificates are no longer required a range is any piece of land designated as such.

If your FAC states for target shooting and you only shoot targets you are complying with the law, if your FAC states target and vermin then you can do both.

The police may not be happy, but being happy and law compliance are two different things.

I have a commercial 22 bullet trap in my garden and it sits in font of a 7 foot high concrete garage, so has a decent backstop, also observes the 50 foot from public highway rules.

I invited my neighbors to see what I do and they are  ok with it, I do not shoot when they are using their gardens, I only shoot school days between 10am and 4pm subsonic ammo only or CCI quiet22

The main issue would be planning regulations, however you could still shoot 26 times a year without the need for planning 

This is a good point re bringing the neighbours on board. Very important. Most calls to the police re gun use are based on misunderstandings of the law - i.e people alarmed by the sight of a gun. Once reported it has to be followed up. 

Re 50 feet from centre of public highway. This is commonly misunderstood as a legal obligation - but isn’t one. It is an arbitrary distance used in court should a highway user ‘be killed, injured or threatened’ by the use of a firearm (per Highways Act).

Looks like the OP is legally in the clear with an open ticket. The main priority is the usual (and vital) safety aspects.....and of course neighbourly relations as mentioned. 

P.S Just realised the original post is ancient history - must get to spec savers....??!! 😃

On 29/08/2009 at 08:32, MM said:

this has got 'DISASTER' written all over it.

Indeed it does. 

.22 rf in tiny flat garden = disaster.

The only safe backstop in a small garden is firing down into the ground and as there is no upstairs window to shoot from that's out.

As for making a plinking range, well if it was my neighbor I'd soon be complaining to the police.

3 hours ago, Michael Richardson said:

OP may be sorted by now, thread is 12 years old. 

3 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Indeed it does. 

.22 rf in tiny flat garden = disaster.

The only safe backstop in a small garden is firing down into the ground and as there is no upstairs window to shoot from that's out.

As for making a plinking range, well if it was my neighbor I'd soon be complaining to the police.

Makes you wonder, if he had an open ticket , surely that cant be the only piece of land he has to plink on ?

Any FEO would have serious concerns about his reason to possess (with an open ticket) , if the only land he had was a back garden.

9 hours ago, London Best said:

Gordon Bennett was only a lad when this thread started!

Indeed he was.

Classic new member syndrome!

9 hours ago, Fellside said:

I think a few of us got roped in following M R’s restart. Easily done. Wonder why these ancient postings stay top of list....? 

They don't, new members arrive here after searching something and rehash it.

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

I think a few of us got roped in following M R’s restart. Easily done. Wonder why these ancient postings stay top of list....? 

to give us all a bit of a laugh....................i have often brought /dug up old threads...........and it sometimes takes a few days for folk to cotton on..............mind you TIGHTCHOKE usually rumbles it 20 mind down the line:lol:

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

to give us all a bit of a laugh....................i have often brought /dug up old threads...........and it sometimes takes a few days for folk to cotton on..............mind you TIGHTCHOKE usually rumbles it 20 mind down the line:lol:

😃👍

On 16/05/2021 at 05:02, NoBodyImportant said:

This is what I put together.  It’s about 1.5 miles through the woods to to neighbor but I hear people on ATVs back there a good bit.  Railroad ties, with barrels a dirt.  Then about a foot layer of mulch with a 1/4 ar500 steel top.  

458FB604-4B26-447B-9A0D-AA15CCED6687.jpeg

820978CD-CC83-4CE1-A052-8195AA169F79.jpeg

Bet you shoot that with more than 22lr lol 

22LR is used on thousands of properties of that type over here for possum and rabbit control and no problems as far as I can remember. In fact, something like 90% of firearms owners only own a 22LR despite holding what would be the equivalent of an open licence (any calibre, any location). Aside from pest control, they are used for killing sheep. 22LR in the ear is very effective. 

On 17/05/2021 at 18:49, Lloyd90 said:

Bet you shoot that with more than 22lr lol 

Yeah,  I use it as it’s right behind my house.  Mostly to sight in/ test guns of various calibers.  I do a lot of plinking with 22lr there.  If I’m getting crazy I walk down to the creek about 500 yards back in the woods.