Semi-auto shotgun question

The_Craws

I understand when applying for a firearm certificate you need to provide a good reason for every firearm you wish to hold. Why then would you want a semi-auto that can hold more than 3 shots when you can have a .22 rimfire with a sound moderator which surely is a far better option for the control of vermin which apart from target shooting is the only satisfactory reason for having a firearm? What about pump actions? I thought that the main reason for a shotgun was the shooting of game birds and clays.

Edited by The_Craws

hi, i have shooting friends who have 5 and 7 shot autos and they use them for pigeon shooting, where a .22 would be impractical. i have no need for an FAC auto, but in the right hands they can be excellent for pigeons. one of my them once shot 5 birds before the first hit the floor (he's a much better shot than me! :*) )

pump actions are basically the same, no more than 3 shot on a shotgun license.

most people go for the pump due to reliability as dave said, especially military etc.

no need to worry about light/heavy loads cycling properly, just pump it so to speak and off you go.

also you really can tell the difference with the weight with a FAC shooty (in my opinion) the extra cartridges are adding that bit of extra weight. :lol:

Edited by baz

Craw,

If you want my advice, forget it, there aint a lot of people that can make much practical use of a 3 shot never mind a 8 or 12 shot pump or auto, shooting bolting rabbit's is about the best exception. You say your new to the game stick to one gun initially, it takes great skill and expertise and experience, handling an O/U one day, Semi the next and S/S the next, it can become very frustrating. Keep it simple for now. We all know what it's like when you get your Cert's, great exitement want to by everything. Don't mean to sound a bore, but I think it's quite practical advice.

Hammy

Craw,

If you want my advice, forget it, there aint a lot of people that can make much practical use of a 3 shot never mind a 8 or 12 shot pump or auto, shooting bolting rabbit's is about the best exception. You say your new to the game stick to one gun initially, it takes great skill and expertise and experience, handling an O/U one day, Semi the next and S/S the next, it can become very frustrating. Keep it simple for now. We all know what it's like when you get your Cert's, great exitement want to by everything. Don't mean to sound a bore, but I think it's quite practical advice.

Hammy

Now there is a guy who speaks the truth,too many shooters turn to multiple guns,

for a new shooter Hammy is right, pick one recommended by an experienced shooter who can give you sound advice (i.e. what are you looking to shoot regularly )and as you improove , so will your knowledge for the right guns .

personaly i find semi autos to be a little too finiky in the tempreture ranges here ,basicaly they cratter in the cold ,the pump will always work ,unless your arm falls off :lol: ,but overall the O/U 's never lets me down .

Martin