Range Rover Classic

Fuji Shooter

A guy down the road from me is selling his 1990 3.9 Vogue SE for buttons.

He has owned it from new and it has full main dealer history. I have always wanted one but for some reason never had one.

Anyone own and run one? What are the good and bad points.

It's only a dog and hay lorry so it doesn't need to be an everyday ride.

we have got a very early (late sixties/early 70s one of the first) 3dr 3.5 that has been gassed up, the chassis is just rust, and it just sits in the shed the last time it went out was to got to its mot the year before to its mot the year before to its mot... same for the last 5 years. I want to bobtail it and whack some long travel suspension and side exaust :good::good:

I've got a K reg 3.9 Vogue SE, which my brother in law drives. It is a bit rusty so have spent a bit on it - look under the boot at the floor pan and into the wheel arches. Take the spare wheel out of the boot and look at that too.

Had a problem with the air suspension which lead to a new pump - a few hundred quid, oh and a problem with the fuel system which is still a bit of a problem sometimes.

There is lots on the net about them and like most old cars they have a few problems but buy a nice one and they look a million dollars, ooze class and will not show you up on even the poshest shoot.

Oh and by the way, they are a proper four wheel drive!

Jonny.

If it is "buttons" then provided it has a tidy set of tyres and T&T you can take a punt on it.

When I buy a car I have a golden rule of going after "1 owner cars". People look after what's theirs from new - meaning it would have been properly run in, serviced and looked after. Also people don't clock their own cars unless of course they are taxi drivers :good:

Go for it, worst case you will have to turn it, and I reckon LV will have it off you - he changes his car more often than I change my pants :)

A friend of mine has a 1989 Rangerover vogue se.He bought it new and it has sat at his villa in spain since then,untill last summer when he brought it back to the uk.It has 18000 mile on the clock and is rust free on the whole.They were seen as a status symbol in their day but compared to 4x4's that are around now they dont compare.They handle like a small boat and i think you could actually get seasick driving one as they wallow so much on corners :good: My mate loves his and will never part with it. Like i said it was a status symbol and it reminds him of when he "made it" so to speak,in a very Del boy sort of way.

Every one you will find in this country will be wall to wall rust and will breakdown on a regular basis so dont go buying one thinking anything other.

If it is "buttons" then provided it has a tidy set of tyres and T&T you can take a punt on it.

When I buy a car I have a golden rule of going after "1 owner cars". People look after what's theirs from new - meaning it would have been properly run in, serviced and looked after. Also people don't clock their own cars unless of course they are taxi drivers :lol:

Go for it, worst case you will have to turn it, and I reckon LV will have it off you - he changes his car more often than I change my pants :)

That will be twice a year then :good::lol::):lol::lol::P:lol::oops:

Edited by malkiserow

Thanks for all the advice.

This was owned by an old guy in the village from new, not a mark on the leather really and doesn't even have a tow bar fitted.

I know he has it serviced every year by Guy Salmon so I may take a punt on it.

At least it has never had a gas conversion on it. Had two v8 discos with conversions and both were total **** and wrecked the car IMHO.

Edited by Freakmode

I have a 3.5v8 Range Rover 1986 it costs me £60 fully comp insurance £210 tax and it runs on lpg. I have had it 3 years + only done about 12,000 though as its a second vehicle had one bit of welding done and its had a clutch slave cylinder. Its done 60,000 miles now and the chap had it 11 years before me and it came with a box full off test certs and other documentation he had saved the lot even a battery thats guaranteed for life.

Because it runs on gas the oil is as clean as the day it was put in so I cant fault lpg. It never was a speed machine so the lpg hardly makes a difference to me anyway.

• 7 months later...

I have a Range Classic 3.9 Vogue SE 1993 as my main car. Yep, had load of problems, but just fix it and carry on. Can't beat the roar of the V8!

Rust is not really a problem on mine, chassis is solid. Only thing is they are cramped in the cabin, not much leg room for a big chap (or head room).

Great offroad and in snow.

I have an 88 3.5 EFI. Picked it up for peanuts, with lpg fitted. It was a punt on ebay, and I got very lucky. The chassis is superb and has never been welded. the body was straight when i got it, and the only real problems were the paint looking very tired on the bonnet, and the rear top tailgate needing a good push to secure it.

Mine does overheat though, and use a bit of water, it has however done a lot of miles. It's not got an mot on it at the moment. However I do at some point want to take the engine out, rebuild it, and megasquirt it with edis.

As for the Ride, mine is on non standard springs (disco 1 rears up front, beefed up ones in the back for the lpg tank) but still retains a reasonable amount of articulation and is terrific fun to drive.

If you are thinking about working on the 3.5, it really isn't worth it. A 3.9 is better before you even start. Tweak it up and you can get 200BHP out of one.

Mine's LPG converted, runs very sweet, not really any loss in torque, although top end power drops off a bit.

Converted it from air suspension to good springs, police spec heavy duty with roughly 1" lift. Bilstein Sport B6 shocks all round, make a huge difference in the handling with even more articulation off road. The drop is at max now, any lower and I will need a double cardon prop shaft!

Took it offroad in the snow today, enormous fun and never even got close to stuck, even in a foot deep!