robo pigeon would it work?

hymax12

Hello every one i have been folowing your goings on for a bit but only just found out how to log on  :D any way i was wondering if any one had thought of making up a decoy with rotating wings like the american duck thing ..would it frighten the pigeons or would it get them intrested?Just a thought.    :crazy:

We discussed this somewhere else and an American posted a message saying that spinning wing decoys were not working on the pigeons over there.  I used a crow spinning wing decoy for a while and it worked just fine!  I think the jury is still out on this one mate!

:crazy:

Welcome hymax12 ,

I have also read elsewhere that the spinning wing pigeon decoys are not very effective.

However, it does open up the whole debate about decoys and their effectiveness.

Most "trials" are not scientifically conducted.

Frequently the time spent on the trials is inadequate.

If you think of all the factors involved in successfully decoying pigeons, its easy to understand the problems.

Some days lots of decoys are good , another day the opposite.

Some Shooters here will swear by rotary devices, others say they spook pigeons.

Some like a "confidence crow" decoy, others say it makes no difference.

Then there is shooting pressure, weather, crop distribution etc.

The list is endless.

My trick is never buy the Mark 1 idea.

Let somebody else iron out the faults, when it seems to be OK and if you like the concept, then buy/try it.

The best guide after that is your own experience.

I believe there are a few ideas floating about, that are more about catching Shooters, than pigeons. :crazy:

Hi every one could any one point me in the right direction for a dead pigon flaper? A few years ago i had one that was like a cradle you placed the pigen in it and then fasten its wings to arm's wich were held in place by elastic bands,wich in turn was fastend to a cord wich you pulled.It worked well but some how got lost in the house move a few years ago..cheers :crazy:

Hiya Hymax12,

Do you read the Sporting Gun? If you do, Target Sports of Bolton(the two page spread, usually in the centre pages) advertise a flapper for £17.50. I haven't got one myself though, so I can't really comment on the company or the flapper. I've not done any manual pulling for quite a while

now, as it makes my arm ache.(It happens as you get older!). I have a battery powered device that does the same job for me. It is quite expensive at £60 odd though!

:crazy:  :D

:D  evening all well thanks for the info .I see i shall have to watch how i ask for advise  :D  I suppose an electric flapper would stop all the movment in the hide as well.specialy with shy birds (pigeons) about.but do you not end up being weighted down with batterys? thanks any way   :crazy:

I believe some of the chaps that have a rotary device AND electric flapper (s) ,run them off the same battery.

If you only want electric flapper(s), I don,t find the rotary battery that much of a problem to carry.

I know that since I started to use a rotary device, I take fewer decoys with me.

Its a weight trade-off thing. :crazy: