Laser

Pigeon_decoyer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigeon decoyer.

Looking at the piccy, has your laser got two allen screws or three?

Mine has three. One is the locking screw and the other two, on top of the laser are the adjusting screws.

when zeroed to the scope, you tighten the locking screw back down to hold zero.

If yours only has two, and neither move the point of the laser's beam, I think it is probably faulty.

How much did you pay? Mine cost £40 from:

www.gunshoprugby.co.uk

Rob.

Mine came with a scope yesterday and as I need different scope mounts I've fitted neither yet, My lazer is the same as the ones you guys have. Silly question but are they only for use in the dark as mine doesn't seem to have a very powerful beam in daylight ?.

Be interesting to hear how you guys get on with them, if you bought them with a scope are you happy with the scope ?. Did they come in from Hong Kong ?

Yes I purchased mine from hong kong on ebay! Mine reaches all the way up to the end of my road at night time! I don't think their ment to use in the day time! Yes the screw heads on mine are ****e as well, I've already rounded 1 off, but will have to try and get another one!

But when I mount it on my scope it seems about a foot the the right, :thumbs: Will it move that far to the left, Wel I'm of to collage now, Will come back on about 3.00!

Cheers

PD

Yes I purchased mine from hong kong on ebay! Mine reaches all the way up to the end of my road at night time! I don't think their ment to use in the day time! Yes the screw heads on mine are ****e as well, I've already rounded 1 off, but will have to try and get another one!

But when I mount it on my scope it seems about a foot the the right, :thumbs: Will it move that far to the left, Wel I'm of to collage now, Will come back on about 3.00!

Cheers

PD

If you get stuck for a screw (sorry no pun intended) I've got quite a range of allen grub screws so drop it in the post and I will see if I can find you one and a couple of spares, probably need the spares as you sound a bit ham fisted. :lol:

Here's a laser review I did some time back. The Soviet Bazaar corsak laser with turrets and adjustable power is the best about for the money.

Using a Laser with an Airgun

Much has been written about lasers, a lot of it by folk who've not persevered enough with the system to fully understand it. I hope that this review will clarify some of the murky areas.

Laser type

You need a laser that has a good bright dot. To achieve brightness that means a tight dot at distance. The poorer lasers have a beam that diverges at distance and thus the available light is diffused over a larger area. As ALL lasers are limited by international agreements in terms of the power output you are not looking for a more powerful unit but a better-made unit. As well as of a good bright small dot you want a unit that is easy to mount (more of which later) and easy to aim in the required direction. Ignoring the cheap Asian units (these are simply awful with dot sizes of 2 inches or so at 10 yards) there are three main players in the airgun laser department:-

Crosman

Claim to be the world’s most powerful etc etc... As I said they are all the same power. The Crosman unit is one of the worst for dot size so leave them alone.

Beamshot

Make a range of different models and prices. They are similar looking to the Crosman but much better in terms of dot size. As a rule, the more you pay the better they are. Like the Crosman unit they have a simply awful zeroing system so unless you enjoy hours of frustration attempting to zero the thing you'd do well to leave these too. If money is tight then the basic Beamshot will do but be prepared for the zeroing problems and bright sunlight will prevent you seeing the dot!

Corsak

By far the best of the bunch for both dot size / brightness and a zeroing system that makes the other two obsolete. There are two types of zeroing systems on offer from Corsak and both are easy to use when compared with the competition. This unit has a dovetail for mounting. These are available at £68 from Soviet Bazaar and are far and away the best bet unless you've got £500 for a green laser! (I'll ignore the mega expensive units for this review.)

Where to mount it

Now the bad news. There are no commercially available mounts that I consider to be worth a monkeys! Why? Well to be of most use to an airgunner the laser should ideally be mounted at least 4 inches above the scope. There are differences of opinion here as to what's the best height but the experts’ opinions all fall somewhere between 4 and 7 inches. See my home brewed mount as to how to construct one. A pair of high mounts and some M10 threaded bar are all you need.

user posted image

Why so high? If you get one of the pellet trajectory programs such as Ian Pellant’s Airgun 7.5 or Chairgun (they are free to download so you have no excuse) you will see that by putting the laser up high and with careful choosing of the zero for the laser (not necessarily the zero of the scope) you can create an additional tangent to the pellet’s flight-path. In other words as your pellet falls away from your crosshairs beyond your chosen zero the laser can pick up the flight-path for another 20 yards or so (dependant upon many factors) giving you an aim-point accurate to half an inch or less if required out beyond 55 yards in .177 or approx 45 yards in .22 at 12 ft/lbs. It is useful to have a multi-aim-point reticle so you can dab the laser on the target to see where the dot intersects the reticle, then use that part of the reticle to aim at the target. A zoom scope is useful too. At some point the pellet is going to arc away from the laser beam (around 58 yards for my set-up) so I set the scope magnification so that the laser coincides with a certain point on the reticle at 55 yds - this then tells me when I am out of range as the laser will appear below this mark to indicate this.

If you want to mount your laser elsewhere (under the barrel for instance) you need to create the maximum distance from the scope centreline to the laser centreline as with a laser below the scope you are going to use the laser as a rangefinder rather than an aim-point. This is because with a laser lower than the scope the dot is going to appear above the crosshairs at distances above the zero. You should zero the laser at the scopes zero and then spend time on the range working out what the different divergences of crosshair-to-laser mean in terms of pellet drop to work out your holdovers. As you can see this system is of less use but does have the advantage that the combo will still fit in your gun bag. A larger version may be needed for the high laser.

Anywhere offset to the side of the vertical from the crosshairs is a compromise and should really be avoided if at all possible.

When you have got your laser set up as you want it you'll find that it's every bit as accurate as a big mag. FT scope for telling you the distance to your target but is MUCH faster and cheaper than that system. I can range-find and aim at any target within 8-58 yards in the time it takes just to aim. This is invaluable out in the field whilst hunting rabbits. A rabbit will happily sit there and have a laser pointed at it without running whereas birds will usually fly off at the first sight of the dot so you have to range-find quickly behind them. I can honestly say that the high laser has NEVER been a problem in the field for me in terms of catching the unit.

I think this covers most aspects of laser use for those likely to be interested enough to have got this far. There are other ways such as high scope / low laser for a bullpup or laser on top of barrel for ratting but what's written will cover the majority of users. So to summarise, get a Corsak, download a trajectory program and spend a few minutes playing around with different heights of laser and different zero ranges then make yourself a mount and hit what you aim at more often.

lasermount.jpg

eba00328978f00000039.jpg

I could make you up a tidy lightweight tubular aluminium spacer for that lazer if you'd prefer it to the length of studding. Doesn't the weight tend to cant the gun a little ?. The ones we have use internal batteries and have a pushbutton on/off switch at the back end whereas yours obviously has a remote battery.

Very interesting read regarding using it as a rangefinder, the trigonometry suggests that using your theories the higher (or lower) the lazer from the scope the better resolution will be achieved. The angle of convergence is still going to be very small.

So is it the case (as suggested earlier) that the lazer is only of use at night ?.

Pigeon Decoyer:

Is it possible that you've managed to strip the threads in the body of the lazer by twiddling with the screws ? If so you won't achieve any adjustment. You suggest that you've managed to strip out the hexagons in the screws IMHO it's likely that the threads in the aluminium body would go first.

Yes well as soon as the laser came through the post I put it on the gun and was playing about with the screws and none of them made any difference in which the laser was ment to move directions, I've only rounded 2 screws off, which I could sort out by placing a slightly bigger allen key in, But I dont see it is nessercery as they don't seem to do anything in the first place, Well I will just use the laser to wind up my parrots, As Its not much use for anything else!

Thanks for the advice!

PD

Yes well as soon as the laser came through the post I put it on the gun and was playing about with the screws and none of them made any difference in which the laser was ment to move directions, I've only rounded 2 screws off, which I could sort out by placing a slightly bigger allen key in, But I dont see it is nessercery as they don't seem to do anything in the first place, Well I will just use the laser to wind up my parrots, As Its not much use for anything else!

Thanks for the advice!

PD

Mind you don't shine it in their eyes !!