choke, & hide poles?????

davey

saw the other post on Choke. I shoot over a magnet so about 25/30 yards. I recently bought a Berretta 391 semi auto, this is the first gun ive had any choice about choke with. Ive been told as a general rule to use No 6 shot and 3/4 choke.........does this seem right. I missed alot of birds on my first outing but i think this was probably new gun and all that.

Also just a quickie, does anyone know where i can get a good sturdy set of hide poles at a reasnable price?? I live in Maidenhead so any ideas please???

I’ve go to agree with Tim here if nearly all your birds are taken at 25 - 30 yards then 1/4 or half is plenty if you use a tighter choke to help with distance birds you need to be much more accurate at close range as there is less spread on the pattern.  

So you need to judge pigeon speed and lead given without much room for error if you stick to 3/4 and remember that a full on hit at close range means a harder hit bird.

If you want cheap hide poles telescopic washing line props work but there a bit heavy to carry plus you’ll need to paint them a matt green or brown

Kev

:)

I mssed alot of birds on my first outing with my new gun also,it might just take a little while to adjust to it.As with the chokes I reckon you could start at 1/4 then ajust them when your comfortable.There are plenty of places that advertise on the net & in magazines that stock hide poles.Have you asked at the place you get your shot from?They might offer you a discount if you use them regular.Apart from the sites listed above you could try     www.flightlinesupplies.co.uk

:)

to throw even more ligtht on chokes and loads read Peter Theobald and Paul Smiths "The Woodpigeon The Ultimate Quarry" pages 22 , 23 & 27 . this shows diameter of spread at a given distance with the percentage of pellets in a 30" circle

shows how good you have to be for full and 3/4 chokes

i would say 1/4and1/2 is plenty of choke the best tip is to find a cartridge you get on with and stick to it also a lot of guns shoot little high what i do with a new gun is to get a piece of card put it out 20 yards and take a few shots to see if the pattern is high aim for centre and keep your eyes open