Best fly for brooks

DanRM

Have been popping down to a friends brook the past week and have seen many trout rising in the evening.

What is the best fly to use at this time of year, as i have tried imitating ones on the surface but the trout dont seem to fancy it

Its a small, slow flowing area of the brook and very murky

Thanks

Edited by DanRM

Smaller dry mayflies are worth trying, but the dry hawthorn can be very successful.

You don't mention what tackle you are using, but hopefully you are scaling right down.

Brook trout are very easily spooked by anything and a leader as light and as long as you dare go is essential.

In the absense of any other info I would agree with Cranfield, fish very light, these aren't dumb stockies, try something small and black that is normally a good starting point.

I saw an expert fisher pull a wild brown out of a stream near me the other evening.

Trout rose, he dropped a tiny fly right on it's nose, and bingo striaght in.

The rod he was using would have been no more than a 2 weight about 7 foot long, it was a pleasure to watch such skill.

Giving the type of water he describes I doubt it would be mayfly, muddy bottom. I would plump for the fish taking hatching buzzers. I would try a black, red or even greenspider with a single turn of hackle on size 16 fine wire hooks, on a fine tippet with the last 12" or so degreased with fullers earth and fairy liquid to get it just under the surface. Or even a scaled down cove nymph fished in the same way.

TC

Those look like Mayfly to me. I think sometimes that the size and shape and presentation is more important than the pattern. I usually start with a Parachute Greenwells in 16 or 18 ,as said above with a well degreased tippet if I cant see what the hatch is. I like the Para grhe and black gnat too.

Just a thought, but as someone said, the surface film is where alot of stuff happens. Not every rise form is for a surface bug. Could very well be midges. Unless you really see the head out of the water for a surface feed, I'd think of putting a midge pupa in the film.

Best thing to do is use one of these or similar only cost a couple of quid off evil bay... 6" FINE GREEN MESH FISH NET AQARIUM FISH TANKS....a few scoops down stream of a feeding fish and you will soon be able to identify the insects they are feeding on... :hmm::lol:

Edited by SHOOTANDFISH

Just a thought, but as someone said, the surface film is where alot of stuff happens. Not every rise form is for a surface bug. Could very well be midges. Unless you really see the head out of the water for a surface feed, I'd think of putting a midge pupa in the film.

I think thats why Klinkhamers and parachute patterns are good ;the abdomen sits below the surface film,or should do.