New Gun.

Cranfield

Having praised my reliable and trustworthy Lanber, elsewhere on the Forum, I should have realised that I was tempting all the fates. :D

Sure enough, the old gun started playing up and following two trips to the Gunshop, the verdict was "uneconomical repair syndrome", I have had to "put her down". :cry: :cry:

So, I have bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12bore O/U MC.

Did a very good deal at Country Way Gunshop, West Malling in Kent.

All I have to do now is get use to it and hit a few birds.

I,m going to miss the old Lanber, thinking about having her stuffed.  :0  :crazy:

NeVeTaS, It did not fire when the trigger was pulled.

The gunsmith stripped it down and found a screw had come out of the action. This held the "left" internal hammer on.

He replaced it, tested the gun , all OK. (Quick, cheap visit).

It happened again the next time I tried to use it, never fired a shot.

Today, we went through the strip down routine and the screw was out again.

The hole at the base of the internal hammer was worn large,

the screw no longer fitted.

Upon inspection, the other side was nearly as bad.

The hammer unit would need replacing.

He made a few phone calls and established that my model was seriously old and the spares were not available.

The only option was to have them made.

He pointerd out the other worn areas on the gun and I agreed that it was not sensible to spend the money on reparing the gun.

I was due a new one.  

:crazy:

They are a very nice gun,when i got mine it took a while to start shooting well with it (just getting used to it)but it now seems spot on,problem is a i've been ferreting for the last few weeks and my old Baikel bramble beater has been pressed into action again (its allways handy as if the ferrets lye up we can have a game of cricket with it :crazy: )took the beretta out on sunday and i think i'm back to square one,oh well,its a good excuse for more shooting :D  :D.have you got 28" or 30"barrels?

The Silver pigeon is a great gun...then again I would say that.......

I've been through the same pain of 28" vs 30" barrels. Whatever you chose one thing is for sure is when you start missing you will say to yourself... I maybe could have got that one if I had the 28/30" barrels..... Enjoy it in good health..

Berettaboy :crazy:

deako u shoot a 20 im hitting the other sided of long 40s  and am think of a lighter gun. whats your opinon on 20s for duck and maybe head shooting geese with one using bismith or hevi shot.im still looking at the xtrema and then theirs the other one, wait for beretta to come out with the 3 inch urika in overbore

Kiwi, welcome to the site!

I find the 20 bore is superb for duck,especially teal as its so light and fast pointing, but on the geese,I have only used it on the pinks using 36gm of lead (Scotland, of course!).

The IMPORTANT point to remember with the 20 on geese is the range......keep 'em close and try for head/neck shots...easier said than done. We have just started to use a 10 bore for the geese and that is a devastating weapon (if you're a goose). :crazy: