Does My gun need fixing?

BigDave15

I just took my little 410 out of the cabinate and opend it up to check the barrells and when I tiped the the gun up one of the firing pins poped out of the hole and it apears to be lose. I fired the gun with nothing in it and I t seamed to be firing o.k but I dont want to use the gun incase of a misfire or somthing. Should I take It to the gun shop?  :crazy:

Big Dave, the answer to your question is "possibly".

I had a Baikal 12 bore that the firing pins often extended from the breech face, when the gun was tilted forward.

The gun worked fine and I ignored it.

Why not show it to your father and see what he thinks.

A visit to the Gunsmith might be a wise precaution.

Better safe, than sorry.

Its not a good idea to "dry fire" your gun with nothing in the chambers, this can damage the action.

How come you,re still "BigDave 14"?  

We all know you,re really "BigDave15".  :laugh:

Hi Big Dave. My advice to anyone with any problem with any shooting iron is to have it checked out a.s.a.p with a reputable gunsmith. I sincerely hope it's nothing too serious, or expensive, but for yours and your fellow shooters safety and peace of mind get it checked out.

Thanks You Lot  :D

Does anybody know how I change my name To Big Dave 15 or am I neaver going to be able to ask for a pint or drive a car!

P.S My 410 is a side by side its very old and is coverd in ingraving it was given to me by one of my dads mates Im hopeing its wort a bit. It s got an engraving of a dog on it and Has essex wrote on the top.  :crazy:

Big Dave - If it is an English .410, these are very much sought after by collectors now and can fetch high prices (if in good condition).

If you can email me a photo of it, a close-up of the action and also photos of any makers names and proof marks, I will be able to help you more.  You can usually date them from the marks.

This may be the case.  You will be able to tell from the proof marks.  "Essex" may simply mean that the gun was imported by the Essex Gun Company and sold by them under their name, rather than being actually made by them, so don't get too excited yet!

Most .410s you come across are the Belgian types, either in single barrel or double barrel sbs.  These usually very lignth and fold in two and were popular with boys (and poachers).  There are also Spanish ones similar.  Webley and Scott made a bolt action .410 magnum chamber which turns up quite often.  Midland Gun Co made a Martini action .410 similar to the Greener GP.  Many of the English makers made their own .410s but these are not very common.

• 1 month later...